Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen guys with as many as 14 bikes.I had a Suzuki Madura 1200 once and a parts bike.You have to have a parts bike because buying used parts one at a time costs too much.That makes sense.The guy bought mine and the parts bike and he pulled a trailer over 300 miles to get them.I said did he have any questions about them.He said no, this made 11 of them he now owns.So that guy is a collector. What I am talking about is owning more than one for different kinds of riding.I have a c50 t I want to get rid of.Nothing is wrong with it.But I also have a 1500 intruder I love so don't need 2 similar bikes.I bought my 92 interstate not long ago.It is too heavy and a little too tall.Touring bikes are all heavy.I think I could buy mick o pegs and cut the seat down an inch but does it not seem dumb to own a bike that is seldom ridden.Nothing beats a Goldwing on the open road.And if the trunk and saddlebags are full its going to be as heavy as a car.But cruising along at 75 and the bike feels like its going 45 is the way to go for long trips.I read the signatures here.How can a person utilize a 78, 2 82s, a 1500, honda shadow, etc for example? I really just want one bike that does it all. I have ridden since 1972. I still haven't found that bike.Do you guys feel guilty owning a bike that gets ridden only for special occasions?

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
I thought I could exist with just 1 when I bought an 1800 but wasn't long until I missed having another one. It's like my firearms, I don't think I could shoot all of them in a day and still thinking of more.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have three. The 1500 is the best two up touring bike, but the 1200 is my favorite. The 1200 is my retirement project to keep the gray matter engaged, and I like working on it. The 1000 VStrom is a fun bike, some 350 lbs lighter than the 1500 and makes a very good day and weekender for us. There is always maintenance/work to be done and having more than one bike ensures that I have one to ride at any time. As for having more than this, personal preference. Some people collect T-shirts (my son-in-law), spoons, firearms, and such. If you have the space, and enjoy it, go for it, has nothing to do with practicality. At the end of the day it is he (the generic he) who has the least number of regrets in the shoulda/woulda/coulda category who wins the price.

As for one bike that can do it all, I have to say the adventure style bike is as close as you're going to get. Can't complain about it being too heavy and not good for daily rides in a town/city. Lots of suspension for a good comfortable ride. Plenty of carrying power, and space for two up riding, bike depending of course. Easy to work on, takes a bit to get used to. Not a lot of difference in cost of new between a high end ADV and say a Goldwing. Can have all the bells and whistles. Had seen a lot of older people get these and wondered why so I bought mine, the poor man's version, and quite enjoy it. Have been told by the other half that it will make a good day or weekender, but isn't to replace the GW for long trips. Means I can keep them!!>:)

If you want to do something, buy and own something and it is within your means, go for it. Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 70.Heavy is to be taken in short doses for me now.A friend of mine who is 76 just bought a tenere.It is kind of like a swissarmy knife.but its high in the sky.I would have to use a ladder getting on it

·
Magic Moderator
4,264 Posts
I had 3 at one time 2 HD Electra-glides and a GL1500 Goldwing with a Voyager unit to make it into a trike. Now I have none.:crying2:

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I only have had one at any time but I've been seriously thinking about trying to score a nice 99 or 2000 1500 trike... I would keep my 1800 but use the 1500 for the wife and I... She likes the comfort of the 1500 and it is more than enough bike for us...

Still looking...

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've always acquired another bike BEFORE selling the old one, and often waited years to sell it. So this is the second time since '05 that there have been two Goldwings in the stable, in 39 years of riding 11 of those years I had two bikes to choose from..... :smile2:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Only one or two bikes. How dose anyone make it with just that many bikes?:laugh: For years I only had one street bike a 1970 CB750, my wife and I did have a few dirt bikes over the years but after I retired that 750 seemed to have gotten smaller, then I got a non running 79 GL1000 got it going and we rode that for a few years then came a GL1100 and now a GL1500 ( both of those were non running when I got them) which we really like but now at my age two up on it I just do not feel comfortable on so that is where the GL1800 trike comes in for us. The 1500 I am trying to sell but that hasn't happened yet. I bought a wrecked 2000 Valkyrie that I just got back on the road. I just like bikes.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts
Motorcycles are like golf clubs. In golf a different club is needed depending on the shot. In motorcycling a different bike is needed depending on the ride. I have three bikes, but I think the right number is five. My '85 GL1200I is best for burning up the freeways. The '81 GlL100 Standard (naked) is best for light weight riding on secondary twisty roads. The '72 CB450K5 has a torquy high revving engine and it likes tightly wound mountain roads. The next bike that gets added to the stable will be a early 70s CB750. There is too much gap between the 450 and 1100. After that a VFR of the late 80s vintage or a later Blackbird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts