Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Would the oxidized connections at the coils cause an intermittent spark to the plugs?

Its really weird that my motor will run on all 4 most of the time but then it gets a hair and fires on 2 the rest of the time.

I am going to pull the compartment and battery leads off today (again) and clean and solder the connections to get a positive connection on the wires to the coilstoday. Not really wanting at this point to rebuild the harness though. I figure it sat outside long enough to oxidize, It needs to be looked at anyhow - Right?

But pulling off the rear tire to get to the ignition advance ? Is this correct? I thought it would be under the points housing, Please tell me its under the points.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Is this on the GL 1000?

Oxidised? Likely, andat two places, the interface between male and female halves, and also where the wires crimp into each terminal for a total of 4 potentially bad connections. The terminals are stamped brass and they relax with age and terminals come loose. That can easily cause misfire.

To verify, run a jumper wire from battery + through a 3 amp fuse to both ignition coil + terminals (coil terminal, not the wires). If the misfire goes away, then theres a voltage supply problem. Can be bad connections in other places as well. Make sure its charging at least 14 volts before chasing ignition problems.

The few 1000s Ive worked on have had very bad electrical connection problems and unfortunately the harness I make for the 1200s wont fit. I had to spend hours cutting and soldering regulator, rectifier, stator wires etc to get them charging again. Wires were badly oxidised which makes soldering difficult.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I've had this problem on other motorcycles and cars in the past. Furred up LT wires on the coils causing missing and bad starting. A sure case for applying the 3M silicone grease.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Yeah Willy. Had this on a Ford Fiesta once. Ran likea pig and I ended up buying a new coil because one of the terminals broke off from the corrosion. I put Vaseline on the terminals of the new one and that lasted for years. Probably would have lasted more years if the car hadn't been stolen and wrapped around a lamp post. :X

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jumping around the wire as Dave suggested would be the way I'd tackle it too, it's the quickest way to verify suspicions of the connector which are probably correct. If you can take the connector pins out of the shell (usually a slim piece of metal, a jeweler's screwdriver or there are tools made for the job) it's then easy to repair the thing. I usually carefully cut off the wire next to the crimp, either force the crimp open or carefully grind it enough to pull the wire stump out, clean up the connectors which can be done by heating and dipping in a little soldering flux, followed by a cleaning in baking sodaand then solder the wire back and reassemble. Remember to put the wire through the shell the right way prior to soldering things back together. Or you can say the hell with it and hard wire around the connector.

:waving:

Ileft a shell off a connectoronce on a 115 pair (230 wires) cable once in my younger days. Painful especeially when crouching in a ditch alongside a busy airport runway. On a cold, rainy day!

:crying:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I think its not the ingnition as I have cleaned the inside of the pipes (exhaust) and they are really Sooty again witin munutes. the carbs need adjusted bigtime since they are too rich. Burns my eyes badly when its running. Getting really nice fire off the plugs - Just getting fouled out by Black Soot quickly.

Yep, on further reading of the manual, it stated caused by excessive idling, Low SparkorStarving for fuel. I have new fuel line and will try that today (and filter) . A fuel flow check may get done also. Lots of time lately. Work is slow so havent worked in two weeks - Really sucks for paying bill's.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

ran429 wrote:
I think its not the ingnition as I have cleaned the inside of the pipes (exhaust) and they are really Sooty again witin munutes. Burns my eyes badly when its running.
Agreed. Ignition wont foul it immediately. Ive an 84A in garage right now with a dead charging system and even it doesnt choke me when it runs. You should find it easy to start in cool weather if its rich and the ignition is working decently.

As badly as the carbs were corroded, wouldnt be surprised that the float needle seats are leaking past the O-rings - if i understand right that they are replaceable. Thought one of the pictures showed them out of the casting.

Vaseline and grease should never be put in the electrical system (charging or ignition) connectors on a Goldwing, the currents are too high. Many riders have replaced the stator connector and greased it only to see it disintegrate within months. Yes, it works on low current terminals in Fords, but these arent Fords.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

As for the advance for the points, it is under the points plate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.