Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Yeah, I know this thread is old, I found it while searching for something and just had to respond. In this case, both the Honda engineers and the PO messed up. The Honda engineers messed up by designing a linked braking system for the 1200s that does not allow separate control of the front and rear brakes. That is not the way motorcycle brakes are supposed to work, and can be dangerous under some conditions.

The PO messed up in the way they apparently tried to separate the brakes so one could be used without the other. The Goldwing is a large heavy bike, and absolutely needs BOTH front brakes, AND the rear brake, but not connected together. Using epoxy in/on any part of a brake system is a very bad idea, the brake fluid could eventually dissolve it and leave you with no brakes.

I converted my linked brakes to regular brakes the proper way, using motorcycle brake parts. I removed the line from the rear master cylinder that goes to the front, and plugged the port with a threaded screw in plug that fit properly. I then removed all the lines and fittings on the front brakes, both the master cylinder and both calipers. I removed and disposed of the line that ran from the rear brake to the front. I then used the front hose and junction block from a Kawasaki Nomad to connect the front brakes. It fit perfectly. I connected the line to the master cylinder, mounted the junction block to the lower triple clamp, and connected the 2 brake hoses coming from it one to each front caliper. This is the way almost all dual front discs are designed, and it works perfectly. This is NOT a "hack job" it is the way engineers designed almost all motorcycle brake systems, and all parts used were designed for motorcycle brake systems. It works perfectly, as a "separate" front and rear brake system. There is no way to tell it did not come from the factory that way.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.