Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Clutch quit working on my 87 GL1200I. Checked MC and found it low with green sludge in bottom of master cylinder. Cleaned and flushed system. I then cleaned and flushed the brake systems only to find that the RF brake line had been disconnected and blocked off. Took the caliper off and found pistons stuck in their bores. I had to use the grease gun method to free them. Cleaned and rebuilt the caliper assembly, checked line to see that it was clear. The fitting on the master cylinder end of the line was rusty but was able to clean it up with some PB Blaster (great stuff BTW). At last I went to remove the plug from the master cylinder only to find that PO had epoxied it closed instead. Now waiting on an eBay rear master cylinder to replace mine so I can re activate the RF brake. Any Ideas on why the heck it was disabled in the first place other than PO didn't want to rebuild the caliper?? One last thing, should I use some type of thread sealer on the flair nuts when I screw them into the replacement master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Well said. I restored a 1981 CB650 barn find to showroom condition after it had not been started in 8 years. When it was finished I knew it inside out (pun intended).

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I just have to think that the engineers at Honda are better equipped than I am to puzzle all this out. Hopefully I will be able to get it up to specs soon. Meanwhile, I can continue to ride it as is until parts come in. Oh, and don't get me started on stuff like the disconnected vacuum advance, maladjusted carburetors and so on. It's a credit to Honda that the poor thing would start and run as well as it did, horrible gas mileage notwithstanding.
As a former motorcycle police officer I have some experience with large bikes. I think that a panic braking situation using rear brake only might result in your swapping ends. Try that for thrills. :shock:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Feetup wrote:
How many riders have high sided by locking up the rear till it started getting sideways, then released it in panic, only to have the tire grip again and launch them up and over?

I love to watch Moto GP racing and the slow motion shots of them backing into corners with a controlled sideways drift!
I cannot even imagine skill like that.
I find the Isle of Mann TT especially crazy. 200 mph on public roads :action:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.