Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The last three years have included week long trips on a BMW K75S, a BMW R100R and then a Suzuki Vstrom. Every year I've gotten this TERRIBLE pain in my lower neck/top of my spine after the first day out. So bad I can't move my arms to wave at Harleys. Anyway I got the 1500 this year thinking the sit up position would help, and it did a little. Still got the bad pain and had to take too many pain pills. I hear this happens to lots of riders - any prevention etc?

Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Man-O-Man,can I ever relate to this. I've found the best thing is to just leave HER home with the dog..... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Bob, I have had that pain as well, but from riding an ATV in the past. How heavy is you helmet, and does it force you to raise you head up to see under the visor? I am only taking a shot in the dark here, but have thought about it for some time.

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Try a Kidney belt, takes the wieght off the base of the spine and gives your back and neck better support.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep

Your question,probably do's not have a individual answer.

Start at your helmet size, fitting,weight

jacket weight and fitting

Do you wear trouser braces, they some times pull on the shoulders

Do you wear a scarf /balaclava, check the fitting around the neck is it restrictive, when tucked inside your jacket collar

Your posture on the bike

do you fit the seat

Are you relaxed when riding, if not. (Advanced riding course can sort that problem)

the list is endless.

Hope you find a solution

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

If it's that bad, I'd get me a "Athletic Neck Brace" like "football' players use ( stiff Foam rubber) and wear it, beats hurting!:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep wrote:
The last three years have included week long trips on a BMW K75S, a BMW R100R and then a Suzuki Vstrom. Every year I've gotten this TERRIBLE pain in my lower neck/top of my spine after the first day out. So bad I can't move my arms to wave at Harleys. Thanks, Bob
I know it sounds stupid but I was getting a similar problem until it occurred to me to consciously force myself to relax my shoulder and neckmuscles often while riding. In my case when I do that I noticed that my elbows tend to drop down a bit so I use that as a clue, when my elbows are winged out a bit, it's time to relax things a bit. It sure helped me, a lot of pain is generated by tension that a person doesn't notice building up.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Are you getting any "wind buffetting" on your "forehead" or Top of your Helmet that's pushing your neck around?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
If it's that bad, I'd get me a "Athletic Neck Brace" like "football' players use ( stiff Foam rubber) and wear it, beats hurting!:baffled:

Hi Wingdawg 101

Are we still on the same topic, I know it's Saturday night, all this rubber talk :whip:.and pain.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Wow, we may have switched topics when I wasn't looking!:baffled:

Might be on the "Saturday Night Special" topic,now??!!:goofygrin:

Like the guy who says "Hey Doc, my Arm hurts when i do this"?

Doc says, "Well don't do that any more"!

And you can pay the lady at the desk, thankyou!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

try adjusting your handlebars to a more comfortable position ,,Most of this pain you have is coming from you arm and shoulders to tense ,,,relax more and sit up straight ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

One simple solution....RELAX!!!!

Man if I tense up I am a bundle of knots!! I was riding in a really light snow, barely could see, but was going slow and close enough to home to make it. I had the same pains and knots as you describe and it was all tension. Now in clear weather my biggest problem is staying awake!! Sunflower seeds, copius amounts of Sunflower Seeds!!! Eat, Spit, Be happy!! And stay awake!!

Yes I have gone to sleep on a bike, GL1000 some years ago. Woke up in the median with my feet out like outriggers and my heels torn off my boots!!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I wondered why my Windshield had all those "Sunflower Shells" on it !:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Ihave to agree with the others that say "hey man just relax"

I am new to the "wing" thing but have been motocross riding for years and I found out real quick that being tense on the streetcauses me that very same problem where I never felt that way in the woods or on the track.

2 back surgeries last year taught me to be very in tune with what my spine is doing. I doubt very seriously that your positioning is causing your problem. Just ease up a bit and relax. exavid had a great point, be aware of how tense you are and force yourself to relax a bit... betcha it works

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

What you are all saying makes very good sense. It was the same way for me when learning to fly formation in the Air Force. I would get as tight as a drum and then start to flail around. I am now more aware of my tightening up and try to relax. Where I now feel it most is my thighs squeezing the bike. Most every time I think to check it, they are squeezed right up there and I have to relax them, only to find them up tight again soon as I forget about it.

Practice practice practice.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

You could also try naproxen, or just plain asprin when you head out for a run.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Sounds like we may have hit the nail on the head,

Stress can be a killer, try deep breathing whilst riding, slow down - 10mph can make the trip more enjoyable,

I used to ride out with with a group of lads who's object, on reflection was to get from A-B in the fastest time (with out racing), I was Knackered at the destination, learnt my lesson an extra 20 mins on the same journey I arrived fresh and had the enjoy for the rest of the day.

Check you are not griping the handle bars like you are with your Knees.

I would check how much pressure or restriction you are placing on the back of your neck. Make sure you can roll your head when kitted out.

Sounds like on my soap box, but I hope any of the points make your riding more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Try about 4 shoots of Jack Danniels...you will be good and relaxed, not sure how well your driving ability will be, but hey you will be relaxed no matter what happens:shock::p

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Try about 4 shoots of Jack Danniels...you will be good and relaxed, not sure how well your driving ability will be, but hey you will be relaxed no matter what happens:shock::p

Who's this Jack? sounds like a Harley rider.:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Some old guy in Tennessee that runs a thumper.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.