Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Wrecker
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all I'm new to this site and a new wing owner, I've owned bikes before but not at this level. My problem is I have some nasty scores on the fairing of my bike, they were there when I bought it so no suprise. I have managed to sorce paint colour and clear coat, my question is what about primer, ie what sort , should I get spray, Im an engineer by trade painting any thing that is my pride and joy leaves me cold. I have my ears on guys

Big Chris new member

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Primer...go with epoxy based on the plastic.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

You could wet sand the clear coat and paint. If you do, use a lot of wax & grease remover. That is what I did.

When I paint cars, I always use a primer sealer for added assurance.

When I did my goldwing, all parts came off including the fairing. What a pain.

If you leave the fairing on the bike, over-spray will go everywhere. Get as much parts off as possible and cover everything. You may not think you have no overspray, but it will be everywhere. Wipe it down after spaying.

If you do not think you can do a good job here in prepprecautions and post painting cleanup, you will be better off taking the fairing off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

big chris,

Please go the "My Account" page and enter your Profile and fill in the location.

That little piece of info will greatly help the rest of the world wide community in providing you with the right info.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

The epoxy primer is the best way to go.Better fill and adhesion.
Use a grey color,it will covor better,and prep very good.
The epoxy cost a little more than some cheaper primers,but its worth it.
You wouldnt build a $300,000.oo house on a card board foundation.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

so painting... figure you will pay at least $1500 to have someone do it... go to a shop that does bikes, not a car shop as your peices will lay around forever (no really it will be done next week)
learn to do it yourself.... probably $4-5 hundred in equipment, and $200 in materials,,,, and lots of practice... this is my project (a chopped and modified '75) and the thrill of a job well done... btw I did a "how-to" called painting for dumbies" on http://www.nakedgoldwings.com showing a lot of mistakes that can be made, cause I done them all.... btw, all of my bikes have been painted, including the cx500 I sold (dang I regret that I sold it)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Big Chris,

Scars are better than tattos! They all have a story, hate to see a bike all show room fresh. I only paint to keep the rust at bay. Rattle Can Black = $3.00

Welcome to the best forum!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.