Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have 1985 interstate. Paint is showing age. Is it taboo to go with preferred color with specialty paint and backslide from original factory colors? In GW community are most looking for standard stock colors and equipage? Seems to be a wide opinion on the subject. I'm new to the GW society only got my girl about three weeks ago and I want to make her pretty.:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Here's My Take on it....Its yours do as you please, I would/will:action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:

Ride Safe, Ray

Ray is as right as rain. I would do any colour except haze gray, or stealth gray. :cooldevil::cooldevil: Welcome aboard Navy Master. You will find this a great forum rich with opinions, ideas, straight information, and many strange senses of humor. You will find the best way to start a long thread is to mention helmets and helmet laws, ask what is the fastest colours to paint a bike, what is the best oil to use, what you would ride if Goldwings were never invented, and where the forum mascot should go next.;)

Michael

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

michaelhaney wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:

Ride Safe, Ray

Ray is as right as rain. I would do any colour except haze gray, or stealth gray. :cooldevil::cooldevil: Welcome aboard Navy Master. You will find this a great forum rich with opinions, ideas, straight information, and many strange senses of humor. You will find the best way to start a long thread is to mention helmets and helmet laws, ask what is the fastest colours to paint a bike, what is the best oil to use, what you would ride if Goldwings were never invented, and where the forum mascot should go next.;)

Michael
Michael, please tell my wife I was finally right once:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Problem is she won't believe a word of it:dude::cheeky1::dude:

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . I say go for what pleases you or your significant other .

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
imported post

My favorite colors are black, red, yellow, and blue. ;)

Depends on the attitude I want to project. :cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

michaelhaney wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:

Ride Safe, Ray

Michael
Don't forget the benefits of deer alerts!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

Navymaster wrote:
Have 1985 interstate. Paint is showing age. Is it taboo to go with preferred color with specialty paint and backslide from original factory colors? In GW community are most looking for standard stock colors and equipage? Seems to be a wide opinion on the subject. I'm new to the GW society only got my girl about three weeks ago and I want to make her pretty.:action:

The wife and Idiscussed (argued) over the color we were going to paint the GL1100 for almost two months before coming to an agreement (truce) and selected a gold metal flake from House of Color. A color that never appeared on a Goldwing from the factory.

When we were done we were very pleased with theresults and have received many compliments on our choice of color and definitly believe the color enhanced the value of the bike although that was not our purpose, the purpose was to improve our enjoyment of the bike.

We have also had the inevitable person that will come up and say that's not an original color for that bike.

We are very happy with the way our bike looks so I would encourage you to indulge yourself and chose a color that makes you happy.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Saddly enough I have some bad news for you. Your Goldwing is out of warranty. The good news is: You can paint it any color you want to except rust bucket.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

michaelhaney wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:

Ride Safe, Ray

Michael

Don't forget deer alerts! That will bring up some great conversation...if that's what you want to call it.:cheeky1::action:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Okay. I got it and I'll do what the heck I want. Thanks guys. Peterbylt the bike looks sweet. Did you do the paint yourself, if so, did you use a special plastics paint?

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

Navymaster wrote:
Okay. I got it and I'll do what the heck I want. Thanks guys. Peterbylt the bike looks sweet. Did you do the paint yourself, if so, did you use a special plastics paint?
Yes I did paint it myself and I used a two part, two stage Urethane paint by House of Kolor. (spelled it wrong in my first post, it's Kolor with a K) With plastic or fiberglass it is recomended that you use an adhesion promoter that the paint shop where you buy your paint will be more than happy to sell you.

I bought the paint from a local shop that sells to all the custom painter's in the area, He was quite sarcastic but extremely helpfull and answered all my questions and even gave me his cell number in case I ran into problems.

It sounds complicated but it's not. First you spray the color coat and then youspray the clear urethane over the color. The color coat is only mixed with reducer. Theclear is mixed with catalyst just like epoxy before youspray it. If I remember correctly its two part's clearand one part catalyst and one part reducer.

After the paint is mixed you have about an hour before it hardens,I sprayed two coats of color and eight coats of clear. I hadn't painted anything in many years and allwent pretty easy, The paint was self leveling and I used a $14.00 harbor freight spray gun.

Peter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.