Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As some of you know I bought a 1982 interstate back in November of 2007, and over the last year I have stopped and started several times in my quest to rebuild this wing....Over the past year I have changed timing belts, installed a new aftermarket dipstick, changed all the fluids and have rebuilt both master cylinders and all calipers... Now I find out that my brake lines are shot got new ones on my short list, along with new tires, and some other odds and ends to buy....My wife has named my wing "The Old Money Pit"...Some how very fitting.....

Now to the paint problem....I took all the plastic off.. found several cracks in the paint where it was either, bubbling up, chipping off or had too many paint defects to mention....Come to find out the PO had painted it with Imron paint....Nasty stuff to remove...but I was determined to repaint it and it would be the color that my wife picked out....Royal Blue......OK enough of that....

Over the past months I have found that the only way to get this durn Imron off was to take a razor blade and scrape it off....Now it worked real good and I have sanded and made some repairs to some minor cracks in the plastic and fixed both tourbox lid and lower tour box lip where it appeared to have been dropped....And filled in some 12 small holes for lights on the tour box lid.....

But every where there is a curved place the Imron is still there and I don't want to try to dig it out of those curved spots with a razor blade as it will leave me more patch up work to do from digging a razor blade into the plastic.......So here is a big question???.....Should I take my sand blaster and used either glass beads, extra fine sand, or walnut hulls to remove this paint in those curved areas or not....I'm at my wits end with this wing...So I need some input here.....All suggestions greatly appricated ....BTW I have done auto paint and body work and am no stranger to getting old paint off of autos but here again they are metal bodies not plastic.....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Glass beads might be the best option, but you should try it on the inner surface or a panel first to see if it will hair up. ABS plastic can usually take some pounding from beads without turning to fur.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes Mike I have 3 of those in the dremel brand and several boxes of bits etc....I have a side cover that I'm going to try the sand blaster on first if it "hairs up" then I'll go back to "manual labor"......"The Old Money Pit' is putting me in the poor house....This project has to be ready with in the next few weeks, including removable of ALL metal parts, this includes the metal bracing in the saddle bags and tour box.......and be ready to go to my brother.....He said that no parts could have small metal pieces that could be used as a weapon....only exception is the rear fender and the tank cover....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Not sand.................bead. A huge difference. That's what they use on the newer plastics (panels) and the corvettes.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys I will go buy a couple of bags of glass beads next week, money permitting and give it a try.....Before the hurricane I bought 15 bags of "play sand" this is what I use to blast all of my metal parts with.....I sand blasted some old Mac tool boxes and repainted them a couple of years back.....That sand did a great job, left very very little pitting and I found a couple of places on the bottom I didn't know were rusted thru, patched those places with some new steel plating, blasted them, and did my paint work..... I put on about 3 double wet coats of primer, block sanded filled in some dinged places on the drawers and shot the finish coat turned out great.....

Just hoping this wing turns out that great....

Claude.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.