Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since I am going to going through the whole brake system on my 1100, I was thinking of cleaning up and painting the calipers and master cylinders. Anyone do this? What kind of paint do you use? I dont have a sprayer so something easy.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They come powder coated from the factory. Any other paint will easily be broken down by brake fluid and the elements.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

go to your local auto parts and check out dupli-color. I believe they will have something that will work.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
They come powder coated from the factory. Any other paint will easily be broken down by brake fluid and the elements.
The above is true. I used Duplicolor Caliper paint on mine. It looks good but it isnt brake fluidproof.

When you bleed your brakes, put a piece of rubber tubing over the bleeder nipples long enough to hang down to a drain pan on the floor. Dont loosen the bleeder so far that the fluid leaks past the threads of the bleeder, just loosen enough for it to come out the bleeder hole. I used clear tubing so I could watch the air bubbles come out.This will keep the brake fluid from leaking all over the calipers and ruing your paint.I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

firebrick, I used caliper paint on both my 1200 and 1500 bikes, very happy with the result and designed for the job. Supplied in a can, I used "Septone" brand on the 1200, and on the 1500 a "3M" Caliper paint (my preference) was used (Satin Black). I don't know if you know either of these brands, but there will be a caliper paint available on an auto store shelf near you..!! A good clean up with sugar soap beforehand and spray on as per instruction...:thumbsup:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

wow thanks newday777....often wondered what it rally was.!! I notice on the 3M paint it says "resistant to" (damage by brake fluid)...If you do get a little brake fluid on the finish, cold water will remove, and if it is damaged, having the can on hand, spray a little into the lid and apply with a touch up brush.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I did a goggle search as I didn't know what it was myself, first hearing of it but then we are on the other side of the pond

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Yeah we tend to drink the stuff down here...!! ok...NOT true really we actually do prefer beer...!!!

Attached images of painted 1500 front calipers.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey Firebrick
Now that you have a GW, go to your account on the right side of main page in the menu and change for none at present and the millage.

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

I painted some calipers with Duplicolor engine paint and high heat clear coat, got brake fluid on them of course and it did not damage the paint.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

In true naked style for my goldie I just stripped the paint off the calipers and the master and just polished the ali up. A quick spray with Mr Sheen when polishing keeps the ali fungus at bay.

The polished ali look is nice if balanced with the clutch leaver and mount done as well as stainless lines.

I certainly don't have to worry about paint blisters again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.