Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I'd like to paint my helmet to match the new paint on my ride. I am fully capable of doing the job myself, either by rattle can or airbrush.

Now, I know just enough about helmets to be dangerous, no pun intended. What sort of primer and paint should I use? Lacquer, enamel, other acrylics?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

My wife used a three part system called Dupli-Color. It comes in three spray cans, a base coat,mid coat and a top coat. Comes in different colors and each gives you various results depending on how you apply the three coats. It's really neat stuff and my wife got some great color shifting results on the helmet she did! She bought it at Wal-Mart but a Link to their site is http://www.duplicolor.com

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Bob, can you post a picture of your wife's efforts ??? No family photos of the kids please...... :action:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Shooter,

Here a couple of pics of my sons helmet that my wife painted. I don't have any before and after pics but here are a couple of pics I just took. The color changes depending on the light so it's hard to show what itreally looks like. When in the sun and moving around the color is constantly shifting from black to purple to blue and everything in between. Sometimes with a reddish accent. Hard to describe.

As you can see by the pic, the helmet used to be white. My wife taped off the area where the visor closes so it really stands out. She should have painted that also!

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Depending on what the material is that the helmets are made of. If they are a composite type material then they could be damaged by the solvents. If they are fibreglass then really no problem. If they are scratched and damaged enough to need to be painted then maybe new helmets are overdue then you could paint them.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tricky wrote:
Depending on what the material is that the helmets are made of. If they are a composite type material then they could be damaged by the solvents. If they are fibreglass then really no problem. If they are scratched and damaged enough to need to be painted then maybe new helmets are overdue then you could paint them.

No, my lid isn't scratched, just want it to match my bike. When I got the bike it was "Royal Candy Brown" or whatever they called it, and I bought a silver helmet. Now the bike is two-tone metallic blue, so it's time to change the helmet. :)

Now, what I was told by three or so people today is that all I need to do is rough up the gloss so the new paint will stick, but NOT to go through the color to the plastic. I am assuming that a) scratches in the poly-shell will weaken it,orb)perhaps the paint MAY attack the plastic. Neither of those are acceptable, so I'll just take it easy and do it right.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Usually the composite type helmets are white. If yours were coloured they are probably fibreglass so there will not be a problem. There should be a label on them to identify what they are made of.
Yes just use a 200-400 grit paper to dull the paint prior to painting, it might be better to prime the whole surface before using the finish coat. A lot of primers are lacquer based so be carefull it doesnt raise the edges but if yo say there arn't any scratches you shouldnt have a problem. Apply several coates, letting each dry.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I saved the Bell color matched helmet from my blue '88 and are having it painted as we speak to match my Teal green '94 SE.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
That looks like a real nice job, AZ. Was there a clear coat involved?

Yes the top coat was a clear coat. As Mr.1200 said it came in a three part kit my wife bought at Wal-Mart for $15-$18.00.

My wife thanks you!:waving: She also says there are a variety of color schemes to choose from.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

I painted my GL1000 using a bsae/clear. I then sanded down my hemet and used the same paint so my helmet matched my bike. Worked great (tho I have got a new helmet).

If you have a compressor and spray gun. auto paint is the only way to go. Much more durable, holds shine better etc.....I personally prefer base/clear

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I would be very cautious about painting a helmet. As tricky has rightfully pointed out the solvents can damage the integrity of the helmet. My suggestion is that you contact the manufacturer of the helmet to discuss any possible issues.

This is not really my field of expertise but I have always had the understanding that painting helmets is a very bad thing.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the other important thing to be aware of is that any solvents can damage the polystyrene inner part of your helmet. Helmets protect your head in two ways.... the outer shell takes the "hard" part of the impact. the polystyrene core CRUSHES to absorb the inertia energy of the impact. that is why after any impact even the best-most expensive helmet is a throw-away.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

if u want to paint the helmet, just make sure you tape it up well. I stuffed my helmet full of rags, then taped it up. Worked great, looked great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.