Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Moderators forgive me if this is in the wrong place and feel free to move it accordingly. Can anyone give me an estimate on how much it should cost me to have my bike painted( fairing side covers, bags, fenders, and faux tank. getting ready to have it done but don't want to be hoodooed over how much.:action:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

are you going to take just the parts you want painted to the painter ? will they be striped or just taken off ? makes a BIG differance . the less time he has to spend on them the better the price of painting. get ready for sticker shock on the price of paint too. that can very there too . depenning on what you want. all in all---its not cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

As WDA says, paint work is not cheap. You can control some of the cost if you have the ability to prep the pieces yourself but if you are looking for a full blown professional paint job, be sitting down when you hear the price.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

A painter friend of mine would do the job for me if I took off all the parts and preped them and bought the paint for $600. $1000 if he had to do all the work. But that's just because he likes me. I'll keep the old paint job.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

luv2ride,

Nothing to forgive there John. What we try to do, is keep the technical forum about fixing the bike.

Things of a general nature or a question, we like to put in the General forum. Seems to make the forums more predictable. :waving:

And on your question?? painting is very labor intensive with $85/hour being at the low end of local shop pricing. Seems their rent/insurance/utility costs are getting out of hand just like our own home costs.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

goldwingnut wrote
$1000 if he had to do all the work. But that's just because he likes me. I'll keep the old paint job.
I have a painter friend who hates my guts, I guess I will get the royal shaft :doh::realshocked:

No seriously, like it was said if you can do the prep work you could save a few dollars. If you really want a professional job then figure on your primer, base coat, and clear coat. It is the cost of paint that runs the bill up.

I have seen some pretty good work done with the rattle cans that you can order from the online paint store. It has been discussed here, I don't remember the web address. Should you desire to go with the original color, they can match that. Good painting :cooler:

Keep on winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

FYI bought materials to do hood and one side of car $550.00, this was 1 qt. epoxy primer 2 qt. base 1gal. clear, reducers and harder.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

?? That's only 7 quarts of paint?? with a dab of reducers and the hardner, and it cost $550.00 ??

That's a little out of line, is it not? :baffled:

I haven't bought any paint since the '70s, but holy cow....

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

FYI bought materials to do hood and one side of car $550.00, this was 1 qt. epoxy primer 2 qt. base 1gal. clear, reducers and harder.
?? That's only 7 quarts of paint?? with a dab of reducers and the hardner, and it cost $550.00 ??

That's a little out of line, is it not? :baffled:

For a third of a car, you should have way more than enough to do a complete full paint job. Base coat goes a long way. Even it you were to clear the whole car, you would still have half left.

Paint is expensive, so one should buy what they need. Do as I say not as I do. I do have 2 qt of different colors that I never used. Clear can be stored, but may take years to use excess material.

For a GL1500, aquart of base and quart of clearis more than enough. I had left over paint, and later painted a helmet and another later painted lost parts and another helmet from the same quart. Has anyone tried to paint a complete bikewithonly a pint of base?

Stay away from the rattle cans !!!!!!!!!!!!!:fighting:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
imported post

I painted an entire car (66tbird) including the engine compartment, door jams, firewall and underneath of the hood and trunk lids. I used less that a gallon of each. So agree 1 quart should be more than enough. Just curious though what is the best primer for plastic? Here's a site that I refered to allot before I painted my car. http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php?index

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

My goldie gl1100A cost 400.00 pounds for two of the faux tank pannels the two side panels the front and rear mud guards. Thats 6 panels in all.They were all delivered stripped of badges and the faus tank taken off the frame.

He did all the prep and then base coated and "two pack" sprayed three coats of black metal flake paint. Then three coats of clear. this was finished by spray pin striping two thin lines over the areas where the decals used to be. This was in old gold.

The job was brilliant.

My only comment was that most paint shops prefer to do their own prep as they are responsible for the finish.

The rough dollar rate would have been about $550.00. Thats 6 panels in all.

The finish is as good as you pay for. I would say that "Two pack" spray is the very best you can get but hard to find paint shops that will do it as the componants of the make up are toxic. The ratio of three paint to three clear coat gives the best result.

If you add the panels on for your fairing you get a rough idea. It took about 3 weeks to do as he is a spayshop for Race bikes near Brands hatch in Kent and he was up to his ears in race bikes to paint for race teams.

I finished the job off with the two tank flaps that cover the fuel access with layers of gold leaf covered with shelac and then clear coated. That cost is for my eyes only!

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Where is Earl Schieb when you really need him??

He is still around. In my days, I can remember the 89 - 99 dollar paint jobs.

http://www.earlscheib.com/index.php

Maaco is another cheap paint shop.

Of course, no one with an insurance claim would take their cars to these shops.... unless they were going to pocket the majority of the claim !!!!!!!

Sometimes they do do good work, but I usuallyheard of thescrew ups which would be enough to deter mostas referrals for recommendation, quality, and workmanship.

Also, stay away from the paint brush and paint roller !!!!!!!! Any questions ?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Foosman,

When I was a kid, my dad bought a 63? Rambler station wagon for $50as a drive-to-work car....He actually painted it with a brush and roller....and it didn't look to....to........no, it looked like crap!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Foosman,

When I was a kid, my dad bought a 63? Rambler station wagon for $50as a drive-to-work car....He actually painted it with a brush and roller....and it didn't look to....to........no, it looked like crap!!!!
What can I say, I did the same thing to my mom's bug when I was 14. One quart of red Rustoleum. Are you sure you did not help you dad, ha ha? Your dad and my mom should have gone to Earl's.

How embarrassing to be forced orlive throughsuch an experience. Gives me nightmares.

Goldwings are too nice a bike, right!!!I hope no one ever tries to justify such ridiculous act, since we all should now know better.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I'm going to do it to my '83 Aspencade and kill that crumby brown look.Sun damage and scuff marks look like hell.Fits my budget too but its too cold to do it now.
Maybe I'll wait till my son gets back and paint it with him.He could use the creative therapy.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

I just priced my 84 GL and was told it would be $600.

I know a guy that used that silver colored roofing tar on his truck and still is driving it around. He painted it 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
Don't be too hard on the rustolem... I did this to my mother-in-law's farm truck and it is holding up great.
The paint job on that corvair in your link looks pretty good to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.