Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a newbie to the forum and have just bought my very first Goldwing. It's a 1982 GL 1100 Aspencade with 25,000 km (15,000 miles). I bought it from an older gentleman that had a stroke and can't safely ride it anymore. He was riding it right up until last summer, so it starts good etc, but I haven't had it on the road as yet (full winter up here in Ontario Canada). I have started to strip it down so that I can check it over, plus clean up all the chrome - I think it has every piece you can purchase. The original paint is 2 tone brown and in good shape, but with the obvious scratches etc. I would like to get it painted and this leads me to my question. If I change the colour, say to a midnight blue, will this take away from the value. I would like to keep the bike as pure as possible, but I really dislike brown. Any thoughts?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Welcome Kevin from eastern Ontario :waving:, Put your location in your profile & you'll find out who your neighbors are. As for your paint job, are you concerned about the value to you or someone else, if the Blue is what you like personally - I say go for it, if you are thinking of resale value, perhaps the "original" colour would be fitting. :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks and I have updated by profile.

I have no immediate plans to sell, but I will probably want to upgrade to a newer model at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the site. If you wan a "classic" bike than you need to keep the brown. If you just want a cool looking ride than pick your own color. I guess it all depends on what your plans for the future of this bike are. Of course this is just MHO Welcome again from Tidewater, VA

Ritchie & Lyn :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

In my opinion, once it is a re-paint it doesn't matter what color it is.... as far as value.... a person withreasonable knowledge about that model could tell that it was not original.

If you are going to paint it, then paint it a color scheme that YOU like.

Do post pictures when you have time.....

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks everyone.....I may see what it looks like after some buffingand just leave it as is for now, even though my wife calls it big, brown and ugly

I'll put pictures on when I get it back together. I was so excited about tearing it down that I forgot to take before photos.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

In the UK there has been quite a few 1800 models painted when they were brand new, admitedly because not all colurs that Honda do, come to the UK, so a lot got them painted, some have gone for the special trick paint that changes colour depending on which way you look at the bike. I had a silver 1800 and never really liked the colur, i have always wanted a white bike and now have one, i was contemplating painting the silver one but decided against it, partyl due to the cost

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

An '82 Goldwing is an '82 Goldwing on the seller's market, no matter what color it is.

Now, if you were to put a $10,000 custom airbrush job on it, you'd be subject to being stuck with hoping to find a buyer who appreciated the "value", both financial and aesthetic, of the paintjob.

Long and short of it is...changing the color makes no difference to the value of the bike (unless you changed to blaze orange, or some other God-Awful obnoxious color that only 3 human beings on earth liked).

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Paint it the color you want. Enjoy it as much as you can. Ignore what others say about it. if you like it, it is all that matters. :D

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Paint it Black!!!!!Its more ominous and sinister. ;)

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I know this may sound overly negative, but in my opinion once a motorcycle has been repainted it no longer has any value except for parts. Same with cars and trucks too. I've seen old cars and motorcycles with virtually no paint left on them or faded to white and that still beats the best repaint in my eyes as strange as that may sound.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

If you look at prices for older M/Cs there isn't much of a return on investment from restoration work, colour changes or not. You do it because it's what you want to do.

It's easy to turn a two thousand dolar bike into a ten thousand dollar one. Just spend twenty thousand dollars on it.

With the exceptions of Vincents and the like, bikes don't fetch the same prices as vintage cars.

Do it if it's what you want to do. I would scrap the brown myself.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

The correct paint is always the one that moves your soul.

Congarats on your great purchase. Has the gentleman rquested you keep him updated.??

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Hey From the wet coast My sister lives in Barrie !!!! Any ho you don't say what you paid but if it was less than 2500 do a hi quality paint( not rattle can!!!) any color you want. paint won't affect value ...in fact a quality paint might even bring it up!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

It will never be a valuble motorcycle; I have never seen a GL1100 go for more than $4000. Goldwings are for riding, not collecting or investment.

Having said that, if you enjoy the bike the way it is, don't paint it. Paint it because it will please you.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yeah, go ahead and paint it what you like. You're probly never gonna want to sell it! I regret selling my 1100 interstate.I had the brown paint as well, and painted all the tupperware silver metallic, and then purple pearl clearcoat. Killer lookin paint! (House of Color) Cost a small fortune,was no longer original, but I got top dollar after 17 years of riding bliss!! Good luck with her! jimsjinx

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

new timing belts first!:baffled:than check the tires & brakes, That way you wont scrape up your new paint job!I used to live in the Haliburton Highlands before I migrated to the wet coast. tipped 1 or 2 beers back at a few watering holes in Barrie!

welcome to the forum Kevin!

wayne.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

If your going to paint it, make sure you paint it Red. The fastest color. :cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

(I just had tosay it.)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

my repaint---looks better to me .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.