Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone have a blow by blow description for repainting a wing? My paint has checking and oxidation all over. I wish to change the color to something MUCH lighter than the midnight blue it is now. I am considering a metallic tan or even grey. I fully intend to do it myself as I have sprayed several boats and believe I have the experience to pull this off.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The stripes on the panels are difficult to remove, or rather the glue that holds them on is. You have to sand it well down to get rid of the lines left by the adhesive. If the old paint is flaking off you will need to feather it well with wet & dry sandpaper, 220 and 400 grade. A light spraying of 2k primer will grip well on the old prepped paint. 90% of the work is in this preparation, the actual spraying is straightforward enough if you have done it before. A small amount of plasticer in the clearcoat will stop flaking in the future.

As you've done boats I really don't think you need much advice though. Good luck with the job. :waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

having twice painted my 1200... well here goes... the toughest part is always the prep, and there are plenty of nooks and crannies that are hard to sand. nothing short of elbow grease will get the job done... once it is prepped right, I have always found painting to be fairly easy

on a lighter side my "NEW" '86 which I bought off the showroom in '88, had several pieces with other colors underneath... as if honda was pulling pieces off the shelves in '88, painting the bikes, and selling them.

When I painted mine the first time, I used a candy apple laquer with a urethane top coat. What I did not realize was that when I painted it the second time ALL, I mean ALL of the urethane topcoats had to come off before I could repaint it, otherwise it lifted off the laquer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I was wondering, for those of you who have painted their bikes. Is it absolutelynecessary to remove the upper fairing to be painted? the smaller pieces come off easily enough but can the fairing be painted in place if you strip off the windshield, mirrors,headlight,etc.,etc.? Or is this just not a good idea?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

while removing the fairing seems to be a pain... just think about all the taping you will need to do if it is left on the bike. and I would dread trying to sand it propeprly while still attached. the key to a good paint job is the preparation... saving steps there shows when the paint is applied. far better to have all the parts where you can work on them

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
while removing the fairing seems to be a pain... just think about all the taping you will need to do if it is left on the bike. and I would dread trying to sand it propeprly while still attached. the key to a good paint job is the preparation... saving steps there shows when the paint is applied. far better to have all the parts where you can work on them
Very good point. Also removing the fairing would be a good time to check for cracks near the mounting points on the inside of the fairing and also a good time to check the steering bearings and top of the frame for cracking, also good time to check out the wiring in that area and do any repairs.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

avnsteve wrote:
Anyone have a blow by blow description for repainting a wing? I wish to change the color to something MUCH lighter than the midnight blue it is now. I am considering a metallic tan or even grey.
Hey avnsteve :dance: This is your opportunity to change to the Fastest :18red:Colour

:hovering::18red::hovering:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
avnsteve wrote:
Anyone have a blow by blow description for repainting a wing? I wish to change the color to something MUCH lighter than the midnight blue it is now. I am considering a metallic tan or even grey.
Hey avnsteve :dance: This is your opportunity to change to the Fastest :18red:Colour

that color is blue isn't it??????

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
Redwing wrote:

that color is blue isn't it??????
Hey rcmatt007 :stumped: You need your eyes tested. What colour is this :18red:

:dance::18red::dance:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

:1000darkblue::12blue: isn't that the colour:madeyes: lol... and I still keep hoping the 78-79 wing will show up as a smilie

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

BLACK!! Class and Fast!!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

sorry guys, but the color of choice down here at the gates of hell will have to be something light. Something that attracts as little radiant heat as possible. Texas summers are miserable enough without scalding myself on my bike, sooooo, I think a light tan or silver would be most preferred. and thanks for your guidance, I do plan to completely remove all painted items to be painted and shoot them in a booth. Such facilities are available to me at a military base only an hour south of here.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silver would be nice, tan would look like Texas dust!:12grey:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Gold and brown would be nice..  /forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

avnsteve wrote:
sorry guys, down here at the gates of hell I do plan to completely remove all and shoot them in a booth.
Hey avnsteve :crying:Why do you have to be so violent?. :gunner: :gunner2::gunner:

:gunner2::18red: :gunner2:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

violence is a necessary aspect of my line of work :blowingup:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

and the look of texas dust would help me by not accenting the dirtiness of it. as my bikeis dark now, I can see every speck and blemish on the finish and it really conflicts with my obsessive compulsive side:?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

avnsteve wrote:
and the look of texas dust would help me by not accenting the dirtiness of it. as my bikeis dark now, I can see every speck and blemish on the finish and it really conflicts with my obsessive compulsive side:?
that reminds me... does anal retentive have a hyphen? :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I still think Silver looks good, and seeing you're in Texas that's a good name for a mount too. Hi Yo Silver and Away! One nice thing about painting a Wing is that all the plastic parts that need to be painted can come off the bike so it's not such a nightmare to mask.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.