Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Thanks for the help everybody. I've learned some stuff here. It appears as though the voltage draw is normal because of the memory stuff in the radio and clock. The amps it's drawing is below 1. Overnight with everything hooked up it's does NOT drain the battery at all. I was suspecting bad battery cell or faulty tender but now everything is fine including the tender going to green maintain mode. I checked all the connections and cleaned the grounds and made sure they were tight. Maybe I accidently fixed something. Good to know you guys are there for me if I need help. Thanks again folks. I appreciate all of you.
That's why I sent you the message in post # 8......!

In post # 1 when you thought you had everything disconnected the "clock" and "CB" was still connected.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
What cihilb said. I've had more than one Deltran Junior maintainer go bad. As stated earlier, there is a small draw to keep the dash alive. You need to measure the amperage draw. Pull the fuse, put an ammeter across the 2 terminals where the fuse goes. Should only be a small amount - maybe 50 ma (I'm guessing here).

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Thanks. This all started because the battery tender refused to change from yellow light (charging) to Green (fully charged).
When this happened on my son's 2009 Kawasaki Concours it was a bad battery.

The bike started and ran normal for about 110 miles then it totally quit running at 70mph. Yes, riding along at 70 mph and the engine suddenly quit running.

It could be started and would run (while jumped from my Gold Wing), disconnect the jumper cables and it immediately quit running.

The battery showed 13.4 volts at rest but it was shorted out. New battery and all was good.............!!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. What's a micrpAmp...... :ROFL::ROFL:0:)
Table of ampere unit prefixes
name symbol conversion example
microampere (microamps) μA 1μA = 10-6A I = 50μA
milliampere (milliamps) mA 1mA = 10-3A I = 3mA
ampere (amps) A I = 10A
kiloampere (kiloamps) kA 1kA = 103A I = 2kA

How to convert amps to microamps (μA)

The current I in microamperes (μA) is equal to the current I in amperes (A) divided by 1000000:

I(μA) = I(A) / 1000000

Sorry, the formatting sucks after copy/paste

·
Administrator
58,208 Posts
What cihilb said. I've had more than one Deltran Junior maintainer go bad. As stated earlier, there is a small draw to keep the dash alive. You need to measure the amperage draw. Pull the fuse, put an ammeter across the 2 terminals where the fuse goes. Should only be a small amount - maybe 50 ma (I'm guessing here).

I had a Deltran go bad a few years back.
After that, I ONLY buy the Battery Tender brand....
no more problems with any of them, and I have a bunch of them.
If it has a battery, it has a dedicated Battery Tender for it on standby, or for the cold winter months.

7 of them in everyday use here.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
This one still works great.

April 11, 2003 Chaparral Motorsports
San Bernardino, CA

Deltran Battery Tender Plus 34.97
1.2 A 12V S/H 6.99
Total 41.96

Note the date it was purchased.....!!! I purchased one for my son 6 years ago and still works great....!!!

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I had a Deltran go bad a few years back.
After that, I ONLY buy the Battery Tender brand....
If it has a battery, it has a dedicated Battery Tender for it on standby, or for the cold winter months.

7 of them in everyday use here.
I have 6 deltrans and a diehard (s/b renamed dieeasy). I thought Deltran was the 'battery tender' brand. Can't find anything different with google

·
Administrator
21,993 Posts
How many know how to type the symbol micrpAmps on the computer ( µA) No cheating. :)
Sorry, never heard of "micrpAmp".

Is that the cramps you get from exercising your tongue too much?

I thought this was the symbol for that. :raspberry:

The symbol you posted is for "microamps". An electronic term for one millionth of an ampere.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I ONLY buy the Battery Tender brand....
I have two of them, rotate them around between three bikes (only two right now, the 1500 and GF's Virago, the 1100 needs a battery) and the deep-cycle battery every couple weeks thru the winter. The batteries not on a tender seem to hold their own pretty good, when I move the tender to them it might show charging for maybe 10-15 mins and then goes right to standby mode.

Had one 'Tender die though, wasn't even a year old....:frown2: Got a replacement from Wally-World. Opened the bad one up thinking maybe a fuse, found nothing serviceable inside...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have eight Deltran Battery Tender Jr. devices, and to my knowledge I've never had one go bad, but to be honest I've never measured the voltage output from one over time either.

I had another brand of charger on the generator, and it went bad sometime over the winter, letting the battery get down to nothing - probably ruined it and I had just replaced it last year, too. [email protected]#$% I threw it in the trash and put a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. on it.

I'm sure they can fail just like any other device, but so far I've had very good luck with them, and my batteries last way, way longer than with other brands of "trickle" chargers.

·
Registered
620 Posts
How many know how to type the symbol micrpAmps on the computer ( µA) No cheating. :)
Nobody got the original 'ask' though, "How to type the micrpAmps symbol"... it is ALT-0181 (µ) plus ALT-065 (A) :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Yeah I know, but Mike wasn't repenting for his typo yet, so I thought I'd rub it in a little deeper. >:)
I wondered how others typed µ on the computer. I searched my keyboard twice. Then I found if you hold down Alt and type the number 230 (as Denver said) there it was. So I thought I would show off a little. But now I feel bad again. Happy? :ROFL:

·
Administrator
58,208 Posts

the '230' is me seeing if my fingers hit the right keys in the dark, woke up with the laptop still laying across my legs while in the recliner :rofl:

so the #pad is in effect, but the combo is not working in linux.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts