Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Everyone,

Tracy and I will be taking a trip up to Parke County Indiana this spring to take in all the bridges and take alot of photos as I love my covered bridges ;)

Just trying to see if anyone would like to possibly plan a little meet and greet.

We would most likely ride in on a Friday afternoon, so that I can get up early for some great dawn shots of the bridges and then do alot of riding on the county roads up there.

If you would want to meet up with us we can start to plan ahead to work the details out.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I may be interested, I like the bridges also. Keep us informed and I will see if I can make it. I also enjoy the photography stuff.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

I might meet you out there as well. i usually go there in the fall. It would be just

a day ride for me. I could meet you there & ride for the day. Keep us informed as

your plans get more cofirmed.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sounds great, like I said we are just in the planning and gathering interest stages right now but you never can plan to far in advance. Would be cool to get a bunch of us Indiana folks on here to get togather. It looks like 160-170 miles for us one way.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action::waving::action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

andy_christy wrote:
I'm only about an hour away, so I'm real flexible. Anything you guys plan works for me.
Sounds good Andy.

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Have they paved any more of the roads there?? :? Last time I was there most of the roads to the bridges were gravel. :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

theROADRUNNER wrote:
Have they paved any more of the roads there?? :? Last time I was there most of the roads to the bridges were gravel. :shock:
I don't have a clue about it :) All I know is Tracy and I want to go and if possible meet up with a bunch of you folks too :)

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Big E wrote:
Count me in, I can be down there in a couple of hours.:action:
Sounds great Big E :) Will be good to see you again.

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
imported post

Hey Ray, would like to join you if the time is right . keep us informed with what you decide. Ron & Carol:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Sounds good Ron:) We will be looking into it even more here shortly.

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have been there many times. The story I was told is that since Parke county never had any 4 lane hiways, no big industries located there. As a result, the county government was rather poor. They didn't have the money to replace the wooden bridges, so they maintained what they had. That's how they ended up with so many covered bridges.

That also means that most roads that these bridges are located on are gravel, complete with rain ruts. Some dont have much gravel left (read: dirt, mud). The road usually descends down a winding hill, across the bridge, then up another winding hill. It will be a tough ride on a Goldwing.

That said, We would be interested in meeting up with others for a weekend. They have maps with three different routes that can be taken. :waving: Karen and I love covered bridges and steam trains!

John

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Johnmac,

Thanks for the info:action:This is getting better with the more folks that are showing an interest in it.

I have seen the maps I guess I need to do a google earth on the county and see what the raods look like too.

None the less I think it would be a great spot for a meet and greet.

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Here are a few samples.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Another one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

One more.

Parke County is located 50 miles west of Indianapolis on US 36. Almost to the Illinois border. The lodging in the area raises their prices a lot when there is a festival or other event. In the off times, the prices are very reasonable. We stayed overnight for $40, total, a few days after Christmas.

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks John:bowing:I am getting stoked about going up there I want to leave right now:action::cheeky1:

Killer pics for sure.

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

If you like covered bridges and you ever make it this far north there is one near me in Spencerville Indiana. They even close the bridge for a weekend every summer and have a festival on and around it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.