Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now riding my 4th Goldwing, and on a recent trip I backed my bike into a parking space using reverse. I have known for years the bike would not move while in reverse unless you pressed the reverse switch. This time I was on a slight slope and that's when it hit me "parking brake". It can also be a theft deterrent since you can't move it. Does anyone know if any harm can be done by leaving the bike in reverse?

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
I use it for a parking brake but mostly when the engine is running. When I pull out of my yard it is down hill, I have to get off to close the gate so I push the reverse button and leave the engine running.

·
Administrator
57,423 Posts
I use it for security parking on mostly level ground.
motels, etc.

Don't like to use it on steep slopes.
requires you to really bounce back and forth to help it release.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Works for short term, but I personally wouldn't do his long term. A squeeze releases it.

I have this below on a trike. It's a wedge cut from aluminum bar stock, I serrated it with a file and attach it simply with ball chain. When I ride, it just hangs there, always close by. With a trike, if engine is off, 1st gear works.
If the trike is to run, like warm up at motel or in the driveway, etc, 1st gear is not used. I've known of instances where someone was warming up a trike as they wiped dew off or etc … and it took off rolling on even slight grades (recall one rolling down off driveway onto banked yard and cross the yard into trees …. and another where a lady tried to stop one and didn't let go, it drug her aways) as there is no stands to prevent rollaway. For the period it's left running in neutral, this method of wedging the front brake works. When I mount and decide to leave or go, a simple squeeze and away we go.

On my bikes, if the engine was off, 1st gear always worked for me. Between that, the side or center-stand, and especially after I added the lockable brace to center-stand on the 1200, it wasn't moving. If the bike was running, like warming up at motel, then forget 1st gear.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Works for short term, but I personally wouldn't do his long term. A squeeze releases it.
I would spend too much time fumbling with that trying to get it in place, Pretty good idea though.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Mick, From your profile it appears you have a GL1800. The threads you listed pertains to reverse on a GL1500.

You do realize reverse works somewhat different on the GL1800 compared to the GL1500....right....??

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I had a ride off centerstand on my 1500 wing. When you park a bike with a ride off stand you should either put it in gear or reverse. before you shut it down. I always used reverse to put it on the center stand and leave it that way when I shut it down. 108,000 miles when I sold it and never a problem doing it that way. I almost never park my bike on the side stand even if It's just a short period of time.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Mick, From your profile it appears you have a GL1800. The threads you listed pertains to reverse on a GL1500.

You do realize reverse works somewhat different on the GL1800 compared to the GL1500....right....??
They actually work the same more or less, just the way they are activated is different, button vs. a manual lever.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
They actually work the same more or less, just the way they are activated is different, button vs. a manual lever.

You may have missed my point (maybe I didn't make it clear). There is a Reverse Lever Switch on the GL1500. Leaving the bike in reverse all the time when parked is not good for the spring associated with that switch. I have known issues with that spring.....!!:grin3:

Yes, I did notice he has a GL1800. I am aware of the differences you indicated. I didn't just get involved with Gold Wing's yesterday...!

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
I didn't just get involved with Gold Wing's yesterday...!
You don't have to take every reply as an insult and cry about it. I was just clarifying your reply.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
I am now riding my 4th Goldwing, and on a recent trip I backed my bike into a parking space using reverse. I have known for years the bike would not move while in reverse unless you pressed the reverse switch. This time I was on a slight slope and that's when it hit me "parking brake". It can also be a theft deterrent since you can't move it. Does anyone know if any harm can be done by leaving the bike in reverse?
I modded the center stand on my '85 GL1200A, I shortened the legs about 3/4", widened the feet (16" as I recall when finished) and added a cross in center with a tab with hole. I also put a pin with hole for clip pin on the extension to use in more secure areas. On the other end of this "brace/lock bar" is a tab bolted under the head of an engine mount. The "brace/lock bar" was made of 1/2" rectangle tube, I added a tab to mate at stand, a "hook" that engaged at the forward end. Simple to put in place or remove, it was made to fit. I could use the hitch pin in seconds, the hole also aligned well with the tab on crossbar where a padlock could be placed. I use, bike would set on even grass areas, but I never tried it in a plowed field or mudhole. The added width did not add enough to affect cornering, you couldn't even see it unless looking for it. With stand shortened, it was easier to put up on it as well.

Would be easy to fabricate for even a 1800, and once in place, very secure from fall or theft.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts