Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got an '82 KZ1000 LTD I need to pick up some used parts for (tach, front wheel). I'm watching some parts from an '81 right now but how can I make sure they'll fit?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Good link, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I still have some parts from my '82 KZ1100. Wonder what will fit your bike? Mine was the shaft touring bike, and I am pretty sure it had different wheels than the LTD did.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

In addition to the tach and front wheel, I'm also looking for a set of crash bars (or at least the right-hand one. Here's a pic of the front wheel.

The size listed on one of the spokes is J 19 x MT 1.85

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The tach.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The bike. This thing runs fantastic and is crazy fast. I'm picking up the parts to have it ready to sell in the spring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

If it runs/rides now, how much you want for it as is?

That was my last bike when I quit riding about 15+ years ago!
Mine busted a magnet and ripped out all the windings in the stator. Never could find the parts for a reasonable price back then. Mine kinda rotted away sitting over the years now.
That was pretty much what I was looking for last year, could not find, then found an 1100 wing I liked and hooked on wings now of course.

I'd still like one of those maybe for the short rides around 300 miles or so LOL

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Chromo wrote:
If it runs/rides now, how much you want for it as is?

That was my last bike when I quit riding about 15+ years ago!
Mine busted a magnet and ripped out all the windings in the stator. Never could find the parts for a reasonable price back then. Mine kinda rotted away sitting over the years now.
That was pretty much what I was looking for last year, could not find, then found an 1100 wing I liked and hooked on wings now of course.

I'd still like one of those maybe for the short rides around 300 miles or so LOL
Chromo, it does run and drive very well, almost too well. Engine is very strong (not sure if it may have had some hi-performance work done to it, or maybe it's just how fast these bikes really were). I don't have much interest in selling it "as is". This was my son-in-law's bike that he had an accident on earlier this year. I helped him find it and he had lots of good riding on it before he got clipped by a car. The other guy's insurance company gave him a very nice settlement and the option to buy the bike back. Since all the damage was cosmetic, I bought it from him, and he moved along to a very nice low-mileage '94 Magna 750. I plan on picking up the parts I need to bring it back to excellent condition that it was, riding it a little and (probably) selling it for top-dollar in the spring. As much as I'd love to keep it, I bought it to resell and apply the money toward my Goldwing upgrade fund.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

OH, OK. I probably can't afford top dollar later, and even if I could I don't like chain drive enough to pay it. LOL

As I recall mine probably had enough power and zip to run equal or blow away most of the Zoom Splats on the road today of equal 1000CC or even better! It had more ZOOM than I needed! So it may be modded or it could well be stock.
Mine was stock other than headers and K&M or K&L air cleaners, forget what they were. One for each carb instead of the stock airbox.

I was getting high 40's for MPG HY, when I had to replace chain and sprockets I went to another ratio, less ZOOM but over 50mpg HY. Still plenty of Zoom for me, more than needed for normal riding and heavy loads cross country.

I rode mine about 10K here and there on one trip from WI to NV and back. Cruising about 70-90mph most the way and around 50mpg all the way. I was loaded for bear as they say, back seat loaded with a large duffel bag of clothes, stuff strapped to the sides and off the sissy bar on back.

Took many rides 500 miles each way from WI to moms in OH for weekend visits also, and WI to TX a few times.
They say those old air cooled inline 4's aren't good for all that many miles, but mine was still going strong when the magnet shattered and took out the magneto windings and tossed the crank out of balance knocking out an oil seal.
I even rode it a bit after that for short rides, but my foot would get soaked in oil from the leaking seal and I parked it, running fine other wise. Course I busted out the other 3 magnets so it was not out of balance, and I was running on a car battery since there was no charging system anymore LOL

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I sent a PM to Silicon Sam regarding the parts I'm looking for, but if you still have yours, any chance you've got anything on the list?

Headlight (works but has small hole)
Crash bars
Front wheel
Mirrors (some road rash on right one)
Tach/instrument cluster

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Not really wanting to part mine, I have such fond memories of it. But it's probably to far gone sitting all these year to try to rebuild now. I guess I could use some extra cash for the Wings.

I think I may have
Head light
Front wheel with good 19 year old tire LOL
Tach or cluster, minus the speedo (it's bent some like your tach, glass broke and needle gone).
Maybe a left mirror, I think glass broke out of the right side mirror when it fell over.

Don't think I had crash bars, not sure, I know I used HY pegs off the front motor mount bolts when I was riding it.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

If you should decide you want to part it and find the parts are good, let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.