Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
57,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, moving a partition if it is NOT where you want it.
Read this thread https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=306610

and note what this post says:

Moving Partitions with Gparted: it is easy when you know how:
what is not said 'here', is that you must do this from a Live Session.

to Move just select the swap partition and slide it over.
Don't overthink it. "unallocated" means it is not being used at the moment... kinda like moving your socks to another spot in the same drawer.

the same concept applies to the root partition, select and slide it over.

PS: this tutorial is 10 years old but Gparted has changed very little
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

==========================================

In all the time, that I have been studying Linux and using Gparted,
no one, ever, mentioned that you can just click on a Partition and slide it to where you want it.
I thought the mention of just moving your socks to a different place in the same drawer, was a very neat analogy.

·
Administrator
57,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember when I was trying to format a disk prior to installing Linux, that I wanted the /home and /swap partitions and /boot in the "correct order"

that meaning the way that I wanted them..... so that all of the data in /home is not in the same partition as the full OS install.

I have deleted and recreated those partitions many times, until I got used to using Gparted.
Now, after the fact, a long year and more after the fact, all I needed to do was " click and slide "

·
Registered
450 Posts
Some of your partitions can also reside on other computers. When I used Linux a lot more I used to keep my /home partition on a server, mounted using iSCSI over the network. Made it easy to keep it backed up and also to blow away the local drive for the never ending upgrades.

·
Administrator
57,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of your partitions can also reside on other computers. When I used Linux a lot more I used to keep my /home partition on a server, mounted using iSCSI over the network. Made it easy to keep it backed up and also to blow away the local drive for the never ending upgrades.
I have never thought of that, a terrific way to prevent loss of data....
I will try that when I get my new-to-me server box up and running.
it is a hand me down from a divorcee who did not want any of "his old junk"

our own little discussion area here has brought up some neat ideas that never were mentioned in the main Linux forums.... I suppose if one were to ask, it would be explained easy enough.

. my daughter lost all of her data a few years back, I was able to recover it, but the experience horrified her. With that thought in mind, I got an XD memory chip of about 250gB and plugged it into her laptops, now when ever a new laptop comes along, her data goes with her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts