Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey,

I'm in the process of making a naked wing. I would like to put spoked rims. Will GL1000 rims work? If I find some with shabby spokes, can I get stainless steel spokes for them and get the re strung?

My second question is I would like a different type of handle bar. I'd like to get a cruiser type with a slight pull back like a drag bar. So, what size are the gold wing diameters, are they one inch? And as far as sizing goes any recommendations?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Let's start with the easy first, the handlebars are 7/8 inch as most asian inspired bikes. Find a set of 7/8th inch drag bars and be happy. Now, the hard, the wheels. Although the early wheels of the 75 to 77 wings are the same diameter as the 80 to 81 wing, the brake rotors on both wheels are not interchangable, nor is the rear spline for the differential to wheel. This could be overcome by using the front triple tree and forks from the donor wing, and the swing arm with differential could probably be made to fit. The early calipers would have to be used, however the more modern master cylinders could be retained. Not an easy project, but more possible than most. Replacement spokes might be hard to find to fit the wing wheels, but than again, maybe not. Remember, if using spoke wheels, you must use tubes and tube type tires. Good luck if you decide to tackle this.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I think finding the spokes can be done. Finding someone to setup a wheel will be costly. It is not a amature job and to have it done correctly is not cheap.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Okay Guys you convinced me about the wheels. I'm going to stick with the stock /Thanks for your Help

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Just take your stock wheels, have them media blasted, then powder coated or polished.:)

Gene:waving:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.