Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering if anyone has compared the final drive parts of a 1500 and 1200 side by side, specifically the pinion joint coupler and drive shaft. The part #s are a little different but the price on the joint is about $57 different. has anybody looked at them? :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I haven't compared them but do know that you can replace the final drive on a 1200 with a 1500 final with some rather minor modification. You'd have to use the 1500's rear wheel, caliper bracket (with some grinding) and drill out the mounting holes slightly on the swing arm.

http://pete-marge.us/Rebuild/

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

in the case of the 1500 swap. Which drive shaft do you use? I pictures it kind of looks loke the one for the 1500 is longer than the one for the 1200. I can't be sure and I don't want to pull mine right now to find out.and I can't remember from last spring.:stumped:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the 1500 driveshaft will fit. You can contact the author of the article with the link below and ask him.

http://pete-marge.us/

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

not to bring up a old thread but im doing a conversion now and my findiing is a 1500 is driveshaft is about 2 5/8 longer than a 1200. JB

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

dumb question...what would be the benifit of replacing 1500 final drive into 1200.

bigger tire? anything else? thank you

mark:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can get the rubber isolators for the 1500's rear wheel because they are replaceable, the earlier wheels had the rubber isolators molded in and are not replaceable. The 1500 has a larger tire with about 80-90lbs more maximum load.

JBZ, from everything I've read the final drive along with the 1500's drive shaft goes into the 1200. I've also heard the 1200 wheel and flange will mate with the 1500 final drive. I think that was mentioned on the GWRRA board some time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

exavid wrot

JBZ, from everything I've read the final drive along with the 1500's drive shaft goes into the 1200. I've also heard the 1200 wheel and flange will mate with the 1500 final drive. I think that was mentioned on the GWRRA board some time ago.

the 1200 drive hub flange does mate to the 1500. of course there are 5 and 6 drive lugs depending on the years. As far as drive line length I only measured the actual drive lines that slides into the final drive to the end with the spring. Seeing as how it is a 2 piece you might be correct when they are both put together with the coupling,< second piece>up by the boot. I know the overall swingarm length of a 1500 is a little over 3 inches longer on a 1500. JB.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
You can get the rubber isolators for the 1500's rear wheel because they are replaceable, the earlier wheels had the rubber isolators molded in and are not replaceable.
My rubber isolator is replaceable. :baffled: ('87 GL1200)

Either way it sounds like what eek is proposing is way more than $57worth of work.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

This is what i found out. I tried sliding the longer 97 1500 driveshaft up into the 84 engine u joint. It didnt want to go. I gently tapped the back end and still no go. I tried the original 1200 shaft and it was a no go. I had to pull the u joint out of the swingarm to see what was going on. when I tried tapping the 1500 ujoint it burred thestarting splines on the u joint. i swiiss filed it and got the 1200 driveshaft to fit. I tried the 1500 driveshaft a no go. I miced them both and the 1500 was about .040 or 1mm bigger than the 1200. JB

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's good info, all I knew was from a couple of postings from those who had done it before and it appears either there's some differences in the models they were swapping or they left out something.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

JB, I got a ujoint that came off the same bike as the final drive if you end up needing it just hollar.:waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.