Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1983 GL1100 Standard with removable Hondaline trunk and saddlebags. The trunk lookes like the ones on the GL1100 Interstate and Aspencade. It slides into a slot on the front, and on the back, it has two pins, each with a spring and a plastic pieceto keep the spring in place. The plastic pieces have broken and appear to be brittle with age. My parts man at Honda say this is discontinued. Does anyone know where these can be purchased?:waving: Dean

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

They've been discontinued for over 5 years now so the chances of getting them new would be slim. You'll have to start scouring the bike breakers for them.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

In scouring eBay for my parts recently, I've found that quite a few trunks from our model are available. You may find it easier to buy an entire trunk and scrounge the bits you need. If I hear anything from my end, I'll let you know.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have two trunks and the plastic pieces were either broken or ready to break. I guess I will have to try to make out of steel or aluminum. :D Dean

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

First of all, good luck in your search for the trunk. I know I've seen them on Ebay and if you're patient, you'll get what you need.

Secondly, write my email address down. If you find your trunk and end up with an extra passenger backrest, I would be interested in buying it off of you.

Thanks,

Corey

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

All the plastic pieces do is hold the spring on, and help guide the pin into the lock. Mine broke too, but since my trunk is on 99.9% of the time, I don't bother with it. I do have a NOS trunk bottom, but I'll use that when the bike is painted this Fall maybe.

When buying a trunk backrest, be advised there are two different ones, one much taller than the other. I think '83 had the tall one only.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Corey, I will let you know if I end up with a backrest. I have purchased two trunk bottoms and only have one good plastic piece but it is over 20 years old and may be brittle like the ones I broke.The broken plastic pieces will work but are a pain to take off and put back in place. I have attemped to make this piece from a large carriage bolt cut to length, but need to get a larger bolt to start with. I drilled it out and turned down the head in my drill press and I might be able to make one that will work but will have to weld a small washerand grind downto complete once I get the correct size bolt and get it drilled out and cut to length correctly. I only put on my trunk when the wife rides along so my trunk is put on and taken off a lot. My bike is a 83 standard and trunk and saddlebags are both removable so I ride with out most of the time. I ride to work every day that it is over 30 and no rain in forecast:action::action:

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

Dean,

Did you find the part you were looking for? I installed a trunk extender on my '83 and had to take off the lock-on parts (the extender bolts on). If you still need the parts contact me and I'll see what I have. Blessings!

-Mark

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Hey, Mojotech. I have an extra 82blackbackrest that you can have for the price of shipping. It aint new but it aint torn. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

hey Dadoo,

If mojo doesn't need it I'm looking for one also. I went to recover mine and found out the pan was rusted out :(. I'd be glad to pay shipping. Thanks.

-Mark

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Mark but I purchased a NOS trunk bottom to get the pieces in time for my South Dakota trip. I just got back Monday. I covered 18 states and 4600 miles and my 83 did not miss a lick and we only got rained on in 5 states!:jumper:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.