Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I can acquire an 83 for a good price. But I would like to keep my 79 on the road and use parts from the 83. The main items I would like to exchange are the carbs, wheels and shocks from the newer to the older bike. Can I do this? Is there a site that will tell me what fits and what does not? Thanks

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

You might have problems with the wheels since the 83 has smaller wheels which are wider than the 79. The carbs should fit, although the jetting might be different. I would look in the Clymer manual at the differences between the 2 bikes.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

I found this on the FAQ page it might help;

[align=left]Q. I've been told that some GL1100 parts are the same as those fitted to the GL1000. Is this true and if so how many parts are like this please?[/align]
[align=left]A. Yes, quite a few parts are interchangeable between the GL1100 & GL1000. The GL1200 in comparison uses very few bits from the parts bin. Some of the parts shared between the GL1000 & GL1100 are; Front & rear engine cover gaskets, valves & valve springs (up to 1981), valve seals, rocker cover gaskets & sealing washers, timing belts, timing belt cover gaskets, oil filter & drain plug, clutch springs, exhaust gaskets, ignition switch assembly (1978, serial no. 4104123 & up), starter motor brushes, starter clutch rollers, front & rear wheel bearings, front brake master cylinder & reservoir repair kits (up to 1981), front brake pads (78-81) front brake pads on the 75-77 GL1000 are the same as rear pads on 80-81 GL1100, brake lever 79-81, clutch lever 78-81, rear lamp unit lens 79-83. Heavy duty aftermarket replacement stators will fit either model as well. I've probably omitted plenty of other items, but you get the general idea.[/align]

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, Y'all...

Iremember reading that the 1100 carbs were a good cure for the 1000's off idle stumbling, as well as having an accelerator pump, which the 1000 lacks. Clymer has a totally different section on the 1100 carbs, and the specs are different (esspecially the FLOAT LEVEL, which seems to be a major discussion right now!). BTW, ifthat '83 needs to get rid of some fairing parts.... let me know!!!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The fuel pump will also fit.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

The air shockers off the GL1100 should make the Gl1000 handle a lot less like a pig in the bends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.