Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone knows the parts number and/or the proper name for "the big gasket that goes between the two halves of the engine", haha. I am planning to split the case and replace my crankshaft with another one I found (I suspect mine has bad bearings) and I would like to order this gasket. I've seen kits with everything but they are kinda pricey.

Thanks!

P.S. is there any reason why putting my pistons on an another crankshaft wouldn't work? Or any other parts/issues I should consider? Haven't done anything like this before and am trying to get rid of an engine knock on a tight budget.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

There is no gasket between the case halves as such Honda as far as I can remember recommends the use of sealant and nothing else. The last case I split had no gasket in it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Are you shure it's an bearing knock. I may well be the primary chain knock that is present in all the 4 cyclinder goldwings if they are not pefectly in sync.
Describe the knock and when it is most noticeble.
Splitting cases would become very expensive and techniquly involved.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

@mainwiz - Really? On the old engine I have (its already split) definitely looks like there is a gasket there and not old sealant. Also, the large rectangular gasket in this parts set (top-most one)] http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product317.html ] looks like it is for this purpose (I don't really want to buy the whole set though, I just want the gasket I need.)

@Wilf - I'm pretty sure its a knock, don't know what else it could be. Here is a clip of the engine running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzt6N0Sc8Y

I've already checked the valve clearances, heads, etc. The knock is heard throughout the whole RPM range but is easier to hear at low idle.

·
Premium Member
12,884 Posts
imported post

Yup , thats a knock and not primary chain rattle . The gasket I see in your reference looks like the front cover gasket where the water pump /oil filter are located .

PM sent

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hello from Dartmouth!

My lovely bride and I spend a fair amount of time on the island in the run of a year. We love to bike over there. I use to live there as a kid as my father worked for Parks Canada and was Chief Warden there at one time. Lived in Dalvey and went to school in town (Stonepark).

I’ll be the first to say… Please be very very weary of ANYTHING from Saber Cycle. They have a very very poor track record of customer service and very poor product. Please do a search on here for Saber Cycle and check for yourself. Most people get burned.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

1983lux wrote:
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone knows the parts number and/or the proper name for "the big gasket that goes between the two halves of the engine", haha. I am planning to split the case and replace my crankshaft with another one I found (I suspect mine has bad bearings) and I would like to order this gasket. I've seen kits with everything but they are kinda pricey.

Thanks!

P.S. is there any reason why putting my pistons on an another crankshaft wouldn't work? Or any other parts/issues I should consider? Haven't done anything like this before and am trying to get rid of an engine knock on a tight budget.
No gasket.

You simply cannot do these engines on a tight budget.
You WILL need the whole gasket set for a start, as both the rear covers and the front cover have to come off along with both the heads.
Then you are into matching up main bearing and conrod clearances to the correct bearing shells. No point in trying to use the old shells, by the sound of your engine!
So you have 14 shells at around $17 -$23 EACH for a start. If you can get them!

( I have many conrod shells and a few mains if you decide to go that route)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.