Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please let me know which work you did and how much time and money you spent. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

External alternator everytime. My bike had 2 original stators go in 34k miles. Not a task I enjoy doing every few years! External alternator is a proper fix. Didn't take long to do mine and that was making my own brackets too.......Steve

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I get mixed responses on this from all dealers and MC shops I delilver freight to.
Many say that if you hear good things and are up to the task go aead and pout an external alt but then they say that if you keep all your connectors clean and do your pre maint a stator is the way to go.
the major rewson for stator failure is moisture on the terminals not making a good contact and the resistance burning up the new stator. Like changing a tire and not changing the tire valve.

The 2nd major cause of failure is makknig your wing look like a UFO any electtrical circuit that has been constantly over loaded will fail.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
imported post

sounds like nither brianinmaine nor cody in mn have replaced their stator. the engine is commimg out to do the job. right now i am getting an extra set of timing belt covers to cut for the conversion and any fuse or relay plus wireing. i don't have the means to make brackets so i'll just buy a kit and an alternator

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
The 2nd major cause of failure is making your wing look like a UFO any electtrical circuit that has been constantly over loaded will fail.
The 1200 stator is putting out the maximum current after about 1300 RPM. What is not used is shunted to ground.

Granted the poor connections might have a role in the demise.

The external is the way to go, funny thing is Honda figured it out on the 1500 and later models :)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Yes, the 1500 was a major redesign in the stator department using a "car type" alternator. Perhaps they knew the game was up and they'd pushed the 1200 design a little too far?...Steve

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i've changed several stators in different wings. not that hard a job.:D

stator 117.00 oil and filter, rear gaskets, coolant

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

detdrbuzzard wrote:
sounds like nither brianinmaine nor cody in mn have replaced their stator. the engine is commimg out to do the job. right now i am getting an extra set of timing belt covers to cut for the conversion and any fuse or relay plus wireing. i don't have the means to make brackets so i'll just buy a kit and an alternator
I just want to see more GoldWings keep their collector status ;)

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

zimmerleemark wrote:
i've changed several stators in different wings. not that hard a job.:D

stator 117.00 oil and filter, rear gaskets, coolant

mark:waving:
It certainly isnt, it takes me about 4 hrs to take the motor out, but it's sure a PITA when I am in Arizona when it goes and I live in Ontario Canada.

It takes me 20 minutes to take out the external and a taxi cab ride to the nearest alternator shop for a rebuild.

We could hash this to death and it has been done several times, it really is a personal choice and whether you ride close to home or wander afar.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:I bought mine to ride not to collect, I will stick to baseball cards if I want to collect :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as you say, it is a personal choice, kind of like tyre brands, bike colour and oil.... personely, I prefer blue synthetic tyres

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
as you say, it is a personal choice, kind of like tyre brands, bike colour and oil.... personely, I prefer blue synthetic tyres
Now they would go nice with my colour biker too, have you found any:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

newbiker wrote:
Please let me know which work you did and how much time and money you spent. Thanks.
The OP asked for time/money spent on doing a stator replacement or an alt conversion, not an opinion on whetherhe should do it or not.

I spent about $100 doing my alt conversion. I bought a used alternator, had a crankshaft bushing machined locally, and made my own brackets. It took me three days last winter to complete the whole thing.If I were to do it again I would buy the Poorboy kit because it would only take me one day to do the conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Thta does it for me. KNoing that honda thought of that design for the 1500 tells me that they saw the error of thier ways. I d like to see the shop guy who told me that external was no way to go.
I will put my order in close to winter. That will be my off season mod.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

What off season? you better make it a middle of the week mod. Polar bear season will be here before you know it, and you'll need the extra juice for the heated gear.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The corrosion is causing connection failure for sure. I had carmelized / fried alternator connections on a cb750.

Too many lights can't be helped by cleaning the connections.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

:)I think the externalalt. is the way to go. Seems to be more reliable I put a kit on My with no problems I feel better going down the Road with My new sys.;)

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I did the poorboy conversion. timewise and future issues considered, you would be silly not to do it. Like Tricky mentioned, I would hate to be a half world away and have the stator go out. If an alternator goes out, it is only a few minutes to rectify the issue. Not so if you replace the stator. My alternator has a lifetime warranty. I can get it replaced if anything goes wrong with it nationwide.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.