Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am running part synthetic engine oil on my old beast, 1988 GL 1500,only have approx 15000 miles on the clock, have been cautioned by fellow bikers "old technology engine", stick to Multigrade oil.., or "normal" 10 w 40...bearing in mind South African temperatures in summer in my area can peak out about 38 deg celcius..am I looking for trouble running part synthetic? To be precise, using Castrol Actevo

Ian

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
What weight you using? I can't see why it'ld be a problem as long as you are in the recommended wight range for your environment. Start up from cold is the max wear time.

My '97 GL1500 has had Honda Synthetic Blend HP-4 without Moly in it since new. It has varied between 10-40 and 20-50 .... but next change likely going to swap over to use up some of tghe stock of Delo 15-40.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Crystal Pistol, running 10 40, which is in spec for this region, cannot go lighter due to extreme heat conditions in the area, but thanks, saved me an unneccessary oil change!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
The old Synthetic vs. Standard battles are filled with myth and legend.

The bottom line appears to be, use what you wish. The part synthetic contains no more than 20% synthetic oil, so it's really not that big a deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.