Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Decided to replace the oil in my bike this morning. Took my bike for a short ride to heat up the oil and once I was finished replacing the oil I took another real short ride just to get the oil flowing everywhere, actually just another excuse to ride my bike.

After coming to a stop in front of my home a friend walked up to me and informed me that there was something hanging down at the rear of my bike. I'm enclosing a photo showing what it was. Should have taken the photo while it was unhooked and hanging down.

The figure one shows the bolts that had come loose causing figure two to part company with number three. Number three was hanging about three inches from the pavement.

Lesson learned.....check your bike before you go for a ride and perform routine preventive maintenance. The nut's that had loosened would be hard to detect and replacing that tubing if it had come completely off would be even harder to replace. I still don't know if it came loose before or during my second ride.

Harold

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Looks like your rear tire is at/below min. tread depth too!

How are the rear brake pads?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Haven't got a clue except to say they respond properly. Tire get's changed the first of next month. Living on a fixed income causes me to take one step at a time. New front tire went on two weeks ago. Had the bike one month now. Spend most of my time cleaning it. The oil that came out of it looked real good i'm happy to say.

Note: Just checked the rear brake pad's and they look new.

Harold

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I will bet that at one time the bike had a Hitch or light bar attached before and when whomever put that clip back on did not line up the keyway dealies correctly before tightening it up. get it set correctly and tight. lock it down using Locktite.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

By the way wait until you get those EII's off and THEN check out the correct response.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Jaymom wrote:
Haven't got a clue ............ Had the bike one month now. Spend most of my time cleaning it. .......

You should spend considerable effort going over ANY USED bike. Look for loose nuts & bolts, missing parts, broken parts, cracked rubber, TIRE DATES, replace fluids & belts, brake pads & rotors, etc.

Don't waste your time cleaning until you are CERTAIN that it is road worthy.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Lil Pete that is what i meant by cleaning it up. Just went to the local Honda dealer for timing belts. He quoted a price of 49.99 each. Took the seat off and found the fuel sensor green with mold, battery cables the same.List goes on and on. The place where I bought my front tire is ordering a rear tire for me now. Im probably crazy putting a lot of money into such an old bike but I love to ride it and plan on keeping it for a long time. The next bike will be a Honda trike.

Harold

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

You won't be disappointed in the investment of time and money, it will give you years of good reliable service.

You can also trike what you already have!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That's what i would like to do but $4000.00 for a trike kit for a 25 year old bike is what is stopping me. Finding the parts in years to come. What would the bike be worth 5 years from now?

Harold

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Get your belts at Napa. They are common belts and are much cheaper. Gates: T274 NAPA: 250274 Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.