Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats needed for a complete rebuild of the forks 1998 1500 with part numbers?

i already have the honda seal kit

i understand there are bushings to replace, dont know which ones

antidive unit?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Go to a website like Motogrid and look at the exploded drawing that will show you the part numbers. Basically you need the seal, dust seal, and the upper and lower bushing for each side. Odds are you might not need the bushings but it's a real PIA if you take it all apart and do need them, so it's well worth having them on hand.
One thing that's handy is to buy a short section of 1 1/2" ABS pipe, cut it about 14" long or so and then saw it in half length wise. Use two or three hose clamps that will hold the split pipe back together once you wrap it around the fork tube. When putting the new seal into the fork it takes a bit of pushing to get the snap ring back on. I use the pipe as described above like a slide hammer. Once you have the seal in place it can be hard to push the snap ring down enough to get it seated in the groove. If you just install the ring as far as you can easily push it down, then slip the pipe halves over the fork tube, clamp the two halves back together with the hose clamps and then use the pipe as a hammer to drive the snap ring down until it seats. You'll also need a snap ring plier to pull the snap ring out. I have several good quality snap ring pliers but found a cheap pair of Harbor Freight pliers to work best.

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
Like was mentioned above, it is usually a good idea to replace the slider and guide (inner and outer) bushings. There are one of each on each side. You can get them HERE although I know you usually get yours local. They usually get destroyed when pulling the forks apart so it's a good idea to replace them. Also it would be a good idea to try and remove or at least loosen the bolt all the way on the bottom of the forks prior to pulling the springs. This bolt can be seen when turning the forks upside down and looking in the area that the axle passes through. With the springs still it it should provide tension to keep the inner parts from spinning when loosening that bolt. I believe it is a 6mm allen head bolt.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Unless I need to get at the springs I never bother them when changing a fork seal. The springs really don't put any pressure on the bottom bolt. About half the time it's a real good idea to have a power impackt wrench to loosen and tighten those bottom allen bolts. There's a lot of info here on the forum about getting those bolts out if the Allen heads strip out. Be very sure you have the right METRIC allen wrench in them because there are some SAE allens that are a close fit but not quite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.