Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
421 Posts
Probably the test for motorcycle endorsement. Here in PA, you have to take a separate driving test for a motorcycle. either that or an MSF course.

·
Administrator
25,013 Posts
Probably the test for motorcycle endorsement.
That would be my guess also since he put it in the general motorcycle forum. Could be ASE certification for working on motorcycles maybe?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IOkay , here in Illinois before you can legally ride a motorcycle you have to pass both a written test and a driver's text. First round a few years back I got popped for no endorsement. Then went took the test, but failed the driver's test . Took the safety course offered by a college and knew I'd have to retake the written again a few months later.

·
Administrator
22,063 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up. I've done the test in two states (California and Oregon) and they did not have separate testing. You took the written, then provided you pass it, go outside and take the skill test.

Arizona accepted Oregon's license. No tests were needed.

I took the Cali test back in the 60s when they first started requiring it and it was pretty tough, even on a CB160. On the bigger bikes of the day, I'd expect it was brutal.

Funny thing was, Oregon didn't accept my California endorsement. The regular license yes, motorcycle, no. So I had to take their test.

When I did the written, it appeared to be created by someone who knew little to nothing about bikes. The skills test was; you rode around the block and if you made it back, you passed. I sh!t you not.

I did flunk my IQ test though. :grin3:

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Here in Ok. there are two tests. The driving test is attaching a speaker to your jacket and riding with the dmv test giver in a car behind and giving instructions. I got flagged for not looking (turning my head) at all side street intersections. Passed however.

·
Administrator
25,013 Posts
I took a written test with 10 questions, no skills test. They later added more questions and a skills test but thankfully I was already licensed. I did ride for several years before I knew a motorcycle endorsement was required.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in the day ( 1970ish era ) you took a test, then drove in a figure 8 in the parking lot across the street. Having rode for many years , then raising a family then going back to riding again. I admit ! My skills were shot . Barely adequate imo. I failed the skills. I went and retook after 3 years through a college safety course. I have been happy ever since.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Back in 1971 or 72 when I got my first MC permit, I called DMV and asked the guy answering how I was gonna get there. He said "ride it" and gave me his name. I was young. I showed up, he went outside with me for road test, told me to do whatever I would do normally, go out the parking lot there and come back into over there. Meant I had to go around a block. Helmet, jacket, gloves, Norton started with first kick or two, soon it was over.

Never took another road test, only written tests since then … and a few ERCs … and a BRC once. Now, I just check a box to keep the MC endorsement on my license.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Back in the old country was the equivalent of getting a helicopter flying license. About 360 questions, same as written test for cars.
Then you rode the streets (big city) with a cop sitting on your bike behind you.
The guy must have been courageous.
I took my test on first trial which was not the norm.

In NJ everything on two wheels with a motor qualified as motorcycle so I took the test on a small scooter. You needed a motorcycle license for the scooter.
Fl recognized my NJ endorsement
Since then You dont need a MC any longer for a scooter smaller then 50cc same as in FL but now you have to take the test on a real motorcycle higher then 50 cc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts