Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do passenger arm rests get in the way of opening the trunk? I've seen pictures of some that swing out but not sure whether that's just to make it easier for the passenger or because they get in the way of opening the trunk.

I've not long been into Wings and haven't yet come across a bike with them on but I am tempted to get some.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Yep they do.

You open the trunk with the arms in their "natural" position and they will remind you of their presence.

You must swing them 90deg left and right to get in the topbox.

Not a real problem once you know - and you end up learning by bumping them a few times.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine don't interfere.

They catch the speaker pods and hold the lid for me.
I don't even have the restraint cables on my lid.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

And THAT is the reason I removed the ones on my bike when I got it...

I ride solo 95% of the time, and they were a giant PIA so OFF THEY WENT...

Just my experience...:?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Mine dont interfere either with opening the lid.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

When I had a new 95 Se they were a pain. Later since then they changed the length of the brackets and they don't interfere on my 2000 Se.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies. It seems there must be some differences between the various manufacturers of these things. Based on what has been said here I will look for a make that don't interfere with the lid as I tend to open mine a lot to chuck my helmet in it.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Got them on mine and like Rudy said they don't get in the way too much. Sometimes I move them if I want the trunk lid wide open. The wife likes them...it has a cup holder on the left side for her coffee cup and she has been known to go to sleep while I am riding down the road on longer trips.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Got 'em on mine and no trouble with the trunk.
Fact is I use mine as connection points for a tour bag I carry in the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

So BeenShot Does that cable in your pic charge the Flux Capacitor!!!

Wilf

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

We put longer brackets on the 89. They were from the manufacture of the arm-rests. Just loosen the antennas, remove the short ones and replace them with the longer ones...no trunk lid hitting them now!

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
So BeenShot Does that cable in your pic charge the Flux Capacitor!!!

Wilf
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:that's the rope that my wife keeps it tied up with so I can't leave without her.

when I had the 1500, the armrests I haddidn't interfere with the trunk. but on the 1800 these have to be folded out to completely open the trunk

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Some do, some don't. If they do interfere they make extension brackets that moves them forwards. Both my bikes have them. Rick

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

mine on the 1200 do block the lid but they do swing out 90 degrees to open it however th po must have forgotton it at 1 time because the left hinge is broken now i get to find a way to fix it.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Bought mine from cyclemax andthey have never interfered with opening the box and Red loves them. If I planed to remove them I would have a fight on my hands...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
imported post

I ride solo 99% of the time, but I leave them on because when I carry stuff, they make handy side rails to keep things on the seat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.