Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Just got and installed a set of "Add On" Passenger arm rests for my wife for the 1998 GL1500. They mounted off the antenna bases on both sides. This may be a silly question but what keeps them from swinging around all over the place when the wife is not on the bike? I would have thought there would be some sort of locks or somthing to keep them stationary! Even when the bike is on the side stand, the left armrest swings out all the way and just sits there! Should I bungee them into place somehow or am I just missing somthing here??

Sincerly,

Mike V

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I just bought a set for my 1984 GL1200A and have the same problem. The instructions are very vague so for the life of me, I can't figure out how they stay in place nor move out of the way when the passenger mounts. The darn things just flop out and down. They are brand new but maybe some pieces were missing from the box.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

I've seen bungee used to keep them in place on some other bikes. I've don't have any on my bike, but if it's a tube, you could drill a small hole and install a small clevis pin that is straight on one side and has a curve on the other. Add a small wire to it and an eyelet on the other end and mount the eyelet to the screw so you don't loose the pins.

Let me know if my idea may work. I'm sure others might have some better ideas or more experience, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Jerry

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Isn't ther a nut underneath the swivel point? Just tighten it a bot more and it will stay put. You need to tighten them every month or so.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi!

I called "Wing Thing" where I bought them from and they contacted the manufacturer who is supposed to send me out some extra nylon washers with instructions. I assume I will add more washers and then tighten the nut on the bottom to get a tight "Friction Fit"!

Mike V

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I had the same thoughts when I installed them on my 89, but I soon found out that you need do nothing, they stay in the "in" position all by themselves, have never had them "opening up" at legal or greater than highway speeds and in town they stay the same unless parked on the side stand. they don't flop around when cornering either. Just my observations from my own experience.

Allen

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Just nip the nuts up a bit Mike, if you over do it it will put a strain on the mounting points on the trunk. You'll get the feel of it easily enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.