Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Wife says the only thing she does'nt like about the Wing compared to my other cruiser is she catches alot more wind on the wing.

So can anyone tell me if it's worth the money to buy the taller shield,if there Passengersaid the shield made a big difference on less windor just a little difference?

I'm considering the Slipstreamer on Cyclemax,but don't want to get it if it doesn't helpget the wind off of the Wife.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

need a combo of things, a slip streamer/tulsa or whatever they now have like them. Also need to have the wind wings to deflect air out away (unless its HOT) and I also have the under the mirror winglets.

wife is around 4'9" and complained about the wind, all the above helped but does not elliminate totally. Mine also is 94 SE.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
My Wife says the only thing she does'nt like about the Wing compared to my other cruiser is she catches alot more wind on the wing.
Cut back on the beans :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 1500 it came with the Tulsa tall shield installed. My Wife was able to compare the ride on that with the ride she had taken with me on my Dad's 1500 with stock shield. She likes the tall shield alot better.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

My '94 wing had a 29 inch tall windscreen on it. I had very little wind on my backside with that one.

My biggest complaint was the hot summers here in Phoenix. But the side wind wings helped a lot there, they would pull in a lot of air on your face if you wanted it.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

We have the same issue, and Eleanor can ride with the tall shield, but you HAVE to look thru the windshield, Not a lot air air when it's hot out, but not a lot of air when it's cold out, either. I've been thinking about putting vent in the tall shield but it's gotten cool enuf here that I'm holding off doing that. The tall shield really helps,but, she still has some wind buffetting. Maybe if she was about a foot shorter?

I have been looking into the windbender windshield which is supposed to take care of the wind problem, and still let you look over the shield. It's not cheap, but if it would work I'll get one. I haven't heard from anyone that has had one, yet.:)

I cut a shield down to where I could see over it ( 20.5" gasket to top of the shield ) and was great for me but she was just blasted by the air tumbling behind me.:(

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I had a tall windshield once & hit a cool spot in some hills one night. The shield fogged over, instantly, & an oncoming car had it's headlights on.

BLINDED !

Fortunately, I had my feet on the pegs [very rare] & stood up just in time to see over the windshield & see the curve, avoiding the ditch & trees by a half second.

About 30 mins later I got home & tore that 'tall' windshield off & busted it up, so I wouldn't procrastinate on getting a safe one.

My wife never complains about wind....since she got her new aerodynamic Nolan helmet with 'sealed' faceshield.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I would'nt think of buying one without a vent,but I was worried more about her comfront than mine,the only thing I have to do to be comfrontable and happy is to put both hands on the handlebars and ride.............

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

I bought my wife a car................:D

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

fornearly 25 years, my wife just rides her own bike.... it has helped us stay married:cool:

like Popeye I am not a fan of taller windshields, there are plenty of times you need to see over the top

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Probaly in the same way as a rear deflector works in a convertable car, it would be worth fitting a deflector shield to the top of the rear box.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
C'mon now GREG, you SOLD it to her didn't you :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
wrongway wrote:
I am just surprised Greg found the garage to buy it from!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

A company called "Laminar Lip" or something like that, make an addition to the top lip of the screen that kicks the air up and over the passenger. Some have had good success with this.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
wrongway wrote:
I am just surprised Greg found the garage to buy it from!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:
I DID sell it to her :cooldevil:. She LOVES me now.:D

And it was difficult finding a garage that we could trust.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

just put the 2 inch taller on because i got a good deal on it. i had planned on cutting it down; however, when speeds run high my wife could tell the difference so i am left looking thru.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I too have problems with the shield fogin over on cool mornings when I ride to work. Too bad these bikes don't have a defroster on them.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
I too have problems with the shield fogin over on cool mornings when I ride to work. Too bad these bikes don't have a defroster on them.
Hey, that could be a want on the 2010 model thread, probably wouldn't be that hard to do considering everything else they have.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
DougW wrote:
Hey, that could be a want on the 2010 model thread, probably wouldn't be that hard to do considering everything else they have.

Jeff
Maybe one of those plug in 12volt ceramic dash board heaters might work, pointing up the screen.... just a thought. :baffled::)

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
84GrayWing wrote:
DougW wrote:
Maybe one of those plug in 12volt ceramic dash board heaters might work, pointing up the screen.... just a thought. :baffled::)
Silverfox, save your $...I have 2 high wattage dash units I tried using in my old truck before fixing the defroster. Useless.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.