Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of our first vacation on the bike. I was wondering if I would raise my windshield up some ,would it help block the passenger from wind?So far other than it being cool thats all the wife complained about. I have it low because I don't like looking through the sheild.
thanks
Pete

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
I own a 1500 and it has wind wings installed,they do make a difference in directing the wind around you.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
If the passenger on my bike is having trouble with wind, I don't worry about it because they are behind me and can pass all the wind they want.

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
Raising the windshield should help to reduce the amount of wind the passenger feels.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Raising the windshield should help to reduce the amount of wind the passenger feels.
Yes, but it causes the wind to swirl around toward the windshield and you get the honor of sampling that wind. :ROFL:

I always thought that because of the wind blowing past you at 70 mph the passenger would never be able to tell when you passed wind. That was until one day when my wife hit my helmet just seconds after a particularly warm one slipped out. "You Farted!!" was all she said but you could tell she was not pleased when we made our next stop.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Ditto on the wind wings, while it will not make the passenger buffeting problem disappear. They will help reduce the buffeting effect.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
OK, now for the more serious answer. The other guys are right, nothing will completely eliminate the buffeting except riding in a cage. Raising the windshield will help with the air coming over the windshield, or use one of the specialty curved windshields that force the air to rise higher over your heads.

That will not help at all with the side buffeting. For that the use of Baker Wings or similar will help. Nothing will completely eliminate it, but you can get it down to a manageable comfort level for most passengers.

Keep in mind their will always be wind coming in from behind the passenger to fill the air space you just forced out of the way with your bike.

If after everything you try it is still to much for your passenger then they will never be comfortable riding with you and should consider other modes of transport where they will be more comfortable. The wife of a very good friend of ours will ride around town with her husband but will not ride on the highway for just this reason. She still comes along, but drives her car with all of the support gear inside when we take an overnight trip with them.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
OK, now for the more serious answer. The other guys are right, nothing will completely eliminate the buffeting except riding in a cage. Raising the windshield will help with the air coming over the windshield, or use one of the specialty curved windshields that force the air to rise higher over your heads.

That will not help at all with the side buffeting. For that the use of Baker Wings or similar will help. Nothing will completely eliminate it, but you can get it down to a manageable comfort level for most passengers.

Keep in mind their will always be wind coming in from behind the passenger to fill the air space you just forced out of the way with your bike.

If after everything you try it is still to much for your passenger then they will never be comfortable riding with you and should consider other modes of transport where they will be more comfortable. The wife of a very good friend of ours will ride around town with her husband but will not ride on the highway for just this reason. She still comes along, but drives her car with all of the support gear inside when we take an overnight trip with them.
Exactly! :sadguy: Which is why none of you will ever meet my better half on a road trip... :lash:

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Put one of these on...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67,775 Posts
would putting a shield up behind the passenger help

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
my passenger gets no voice in the matter.. I did have side wings. one day riding thru S Dakota in a 40mph side wind one side was roped off my bike and broke the other side.
Last August while riding through Fort Wayne Indiana in windy conditions I lost my front fender and a cubby hole cover on my SE! (Cross wind gusts in the 70 mph category... :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
would putting a shield up behind the passenger help

You're right there, Foodman. There was a thread quite a while back about such a rear screen that was fitted between the passenger backrest and the top box. Apparantly it worked a treat.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Pretty sure they make one for the 1800's, bot sure if it would work on a 1500 or not....ill try to find one online and post a link to it....

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
scroll down and read the reviews on that website, some like em some hate em....hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Baker Built Hand Wings!

Believe it or not, the Baker Built Hand Wings (that mount under the mirrors) are the answer.

They had the single biggest effect on reducing the wind buffeting around the passenger's head and shoulders than anything else I've added to my GL1800.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I am also a Baker fan. Hand, uppers, lowers, and leg. What's Her Name likes the hand wings that hang off the mirrors for controlling airflow on her, and I've heard the back wing is awesome in reducing buffeting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.