Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Here is the situation. On a busy 2-lane road, a motorcyclist comes up behind a truck which is stopped in the lane of travel, indicating with turn signal that he is going to make a left hand turn, (accross the oncoming lane of traffic). Should the motorcyclist simply wait behind the truck, (risking being rear ended by approaching traffic) or move to the right of the truck and slip by?

Thanks for your opinions.

Marty

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

It's illegal here to pass on the right in that situation. I guess you should do what you feel is the safe thing if you are in some real danger from the rear. I wait for the guy ahead to turn, then I go. That way I don't have a problem with the guy changing his mind and not turning, or someone else turning the other way in front of him and not seeing me until it's too late.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Personally I would just wait. But with that being said I would have my bike slightly pointed to the right and keep my eye on my mirrors so I could go by the truck if it looked like I was going to be rear ended. I have seen many people do this and have no problems. Just my personal choice.:action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I remember a bumper sticker I saw many, many years ago. On the left side with an arrow pointing left it said "Passing Side." On the right side with an arrow pointing right it said "Suicide." :shock:

Having considered that, I will often pass on the right (in a car or on a motorcycle) if there is enough paved space on the right and the visibility ahead is good. Definitely at a slow enough pace to avoid obstacles that show up unexpectedly!

In my state (Oregon) it is legal to pass on the right as long as none of your tires leave the pavement (shoulder or otherwise.)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

It is illegal here to pass on the right as well. But I would leave enough room between me and the stopped guy just to have a way out.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
imported post

"<"= Passing Side -+- Suicide =">"

That sign is on the back of most big trucks here in Arizona

They must crowd the center line in order for the trailer's wheels to miss the curb on a right hand turn.

Left Blinkers? That don't mean the blinkers were just switched on, unless you witnessed the blinker start.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

In that particular scenario, I wouldn't do it. However, it is legal in Texas to pass someone who is making a left turn on the shoulder after slowing. I do it sometimes, but very carefully. IMO, it's safer than sitting still behind them and taking a chance of getting rear ended.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

On the rare occasions that I have done that, I do it very slowly to make sure there is not something that I can't see being hidden by the vehicle I'm passing. I wasn't sure if it was legal or not in WA, but I just checked with my brother who is a leo, and he said it is legal, but do it with great caution, because if you get in an accident with someone coming from the opposite direction making a left, who's at fault becomes dicy.

John

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

I have a friend who did that very same thing... A dumptruck at a 2 way stop (cross traffic= no stop). She squeezed by the truck on the right, paused at the stop and then pulled out directly into the path of a full size caddy... Car hit her broadside, immediately crushing her left leg. She was thrown off, bike spinning down the road on fire... LOTS of operations, lots of bills...She no longer rides and has a limp. A lack of patience, inattention and inexperience cost her dearly. Leave an "out", watch your mirrors for encroaching traffic, leave the bike in gear and pulse your break light. Above all, be patient... NOTHING is worth a limp, IMO =) Respects

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
It is illegal here to pass on the right as well. ...
Hey Bob... its okay in CA (but I didn't get that question right either..:waving:)

Passing on the Right 21754.The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Several years ago a truck was begining to occupy a left turn lane with his left blinker on. I thought that I would just continue about path of travel and pass on the right. The driver changed his mind and made an abrupt right back into the lane of travel. He side swiped my 85 GL 1200 Aspy. That left me shook up pretty good. I quit riding for a few years, but I eventually came to terms with it. Could have been worse. I am now always aware of anyone turning left from any direction around me.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

of course it above all requires caution. i say this because 2 different occasions 1 making left turn by indicator i went to right, damned if he didn't turn rt:shock: screeching tires honking horn and words you wouldn't want momma to hear you say. 2nd same but opposite turn rt indicated actually over toward rt. i going left he turns left[see above], i might add these were not big rigs. GOOD LUCK BE CAREFUL:shock::gunhead::action::waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

It is also illegal up here, altho I have & will do it with caution if I can see around the turning vehicle :action::action:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

I have done it, but only when I can clearly see oncoming and cross traffic, otherwise, I'll wait, with escape space.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

4evermetric

DON'T GO COME BACK!!!

:D

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Anymore, with the amount of drivers camping out in the left lane, you have to pass on the right or you'll never get anywhere.
I have come to believe that when it comes to traffic, Left is the new Right. (at least around here)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Washington, California, Oregon, and Idaho all allow passing vehicles on the right that are stopped on the road and signalling a left turn. I got tired googling so someone else will have to check out other states.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

If there is no turn lane.. i think the the vehicle should wait on the very left side of the road, till no vehicles coming to do the turn. i would simply moved to the left lane and pass him.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

dannyeod wrote:
4evermetric

DON'T GO COME BACK!!!

:D
Okay, you lost me on that one. I don't think I am going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.