Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Pathfinder H4 LED Headlight replacement kit from Cyclemax for my 99 Aspencade. These don't require any drivers and don't have any external heatsinks, they are supposed to be "plug and play". But I've run into a bit of a snag and I'm not sure how to proceed.

The newest Pathfinder kit looks different from previous models listed here in the forums. They are one piece, don't have a removable heatsink, etc. They just have a plastic brace that holds the LED and the LED itself. The kit from Cyclemax included the shims to make them properly fit on my 99. I got everything off fine, I trimmed the original housing and put on the metal shims so they fit properly. I put the bracing clasp back on over the housing and it's locked firmly in place. But my problem is this. The next step is supposed to be inserting the LED all the way into the housing and turning clockwise so it locks. But when I start putting the LED's into the housing, the metal heatsink that's part of the LED itself starts hitting the bracing clip. Even assuming I kept putting pressure on it so that it went in all the way, I can't turn it clockwise because the fins hit the clasp and won't turn properly. Pictures below....

God bless,

~Mark

20200405_005113.jpg 20200405_005142.jpg 20200405_005222.jpg 20200405_005239.jpg 20200405_005640.jpg 20200405_005651.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would think the light is inserted first with the spring clip fully open and pivoted out of the way, and the last step is to re-engage the spring clip?

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
I would think the light is inserted first with the spring clip fully open and pivoted out of the way, and the last step is to re-engage the spring clip?
Or you got the wrong light or instructions???? Third or would be or they got the instructions in the wrong order. .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the instructions, the light goes in after the mounting is inserted which is held in place by the clip, which they instruct you to put in place BEFORE you put in the LED and twist to lock in place.

The light and the instructions all came in a neat box as a single kit.

PS - Just for kicks, I tried engaging the clip after putting the LED in place and it won't fit over the heatsink.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the instructions... they make it clear that you're supposed to simply insert the LED after putting in the brace and securing it with the clasp. But they don't mention how to do that when the clasp bumps up against the heatsink.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I just installed the same lights. Since mine is a 1989 I didn't need the shims. Mine went in pretty easily. I know that really doesn't help your problem. I just followed the directions and all went well. They are tight in there for sure. The toughest part was getting that clip to clip. I hope you get it figured out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts