Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched using these 2 words....nothing

My muffler has been like this maybe 15 years. The chrome has peeled/blistered and the pipe has rust below.

I'd like to remove the loose bits, address the rust and perhaps spray some heat resistance silver/chrome paint over the area. The pipe seems OK but rusty.

Has anyone tackled anything like this? I could use suggestions on removing the loose chrome, addressing the rust and painting it. Feel free to suggest specific brands if you had good success.

No joy with Youtube on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is a chrome paint in a spray can, that would clean that up. You would have to clean it and sand it and then spray it. You could probably tape off the muffler and just paint the tip. As I was writing this I remembered you will have to use a high heat paint. So the chrome might not work.Good Luck hope this works.

·
Son of Bronson
113 Posts
Mine had some rust on the inside where it faces the rear wheel.
I wire brushed the rust, then treated the area with phosphoric acid which
converts rust into iron phosphate, a protective coating.
I then painted the back side with high heat silver paint, since no
one can see it anyway. That was three years ago. So far, so good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Brush and sand down the heaviest rust spots, then try rubbing a spot where the rust is light with wadded aluminum foil, dipped in water. If that works, go after the heavier spots. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the method, and it worked a charm on a buddy's pipes earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My situation is the chrome has cracked and is peeling and flaking. It's not about surface rust, which is what I think your suggestions are about. offcenter has addressed my concerns. I need to remove the loose chrome, treat the rust which is now on the substeel and then paint. Thanks to all the replied!

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Those are slightly funnel shape round. I have cleaned, sanded, painted, then wrapped some similar shaped exhaust tips with a thin stainless steel polished to look like chrome before, wrapped and trimmed until I had what I wanted, then allowed 1/2 inch overlap, put on some masking tape to protect the stainless (or cardboard strips taped in place) and snugged with hose clamps while I drilled three of four holes through the overlap and secured with 1/8 SS pop rivets in an orientation that saw pop rivets underside of old tip. I put these pop rivets through the stainless and into OEM pipe below. Once done to your liking, remove hose clamps and the padding and clean up.

The near perfect thin stainless steel's "source" you ask? The SS flue liner in some no longer used "Pellet Stove Vent" (or buy new, but it's not cheap). I have a pellet stove, and while the 3" vent looks like gas "B" vent, it's not. Outside is the same galvanized steel, but liner is highly polished stainless steel. of nice very thin wall, it always look new when I tear into an old pipe whose outside has rusted, even after years of use. Wood pellet smoke or fumes are corrosive to the aluminum liner in gas "B" vent.

In fact, I have some shelved now for future use. A single 2 or 3 foot piece will give you ample. Buy new, and no smudge to clean off one side if it matters (I put the smudged side against what I'm wrapping). It'll last and look great. Use paper or thin cardboard for first tries at cutting to fit a cone. It won't do the rolled lip the OEM pipe has for strength but a precise cut of the edge to abut the roll hides it well. On the overlap undertneath, once cut to make your wrap and satisfied, you can dress the exposed edge of the overlap to prevent damage to polish rag or hand in the future cleanings. It will not rust, but you could roll that edge a 180 degrees & flatten if desired.

Didn't say it was easy, but if a keeper, it looks great. Be careful, wear leather gloves, cuts are easy to come by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts