Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay I have a good one for you people. I just noticed one night if it wasn't for the piping my wife and I have on while we are riding there wouldn't be a single item on my GL-1800 that reflects headlight when they are shined on the bike from the side except for a little square reflector on the front wheel. I am not a happy camper and am looking for items I can put onto the side of the bike that will reflect and yet look good or tell me if they make a pen striping paint whereby I could have the bike painted and that paint will light up when the headlights hit it from the side. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

If you check out galls.com - more specifically this link - linky - you will find scotchlite tape in reflective/non reflective types - and various colours

You may be able to find something that matches fairly close and will be reflective as well when it's dark out.

They also make this in various widths so you may be able to find something in 3/8" or 1/2" as well.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I don't think the Pin stripers have any kind of paint like that. Probably need some Led's or refective tape:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

u might want to check this out
http://www.streetglo.net/reflective.tape/

also any autoparts store that carries 3M products can most likely special order in pinstriping in numerous colors and widths,i know that most napa stores carry this product,you can probably find info on the 3M site or contact their techline for info,they probably would send you out their product sheet

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

The striping available is kinda utilitarian in design. Not sumpin you'd usually put on yer baby. I would go with some low draw LED's as others stated. Also, I wear as much AGAT stuff as I can stand, when out on the slab, or even in town. I know that feeling of being the target of a giant demolition derby! Seems like every person I see, has a damned cell phone smashed against thier ear. I have seen some pretty cool paint from House of Color, that does wierd stuff in bright light, but this stuff is THOUSANDS per gallon! Not really the effect you are looking for,either. Be careful out there! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

you can mix up some reflective paint but if your going to pin stripe it your not going to get much for a reflection out of a little pin stripe not much for the light to catch onto

the dot conspicuity tape is about 3 inches wide and is silver, red, and yellow and you can see it about as good as the lights in the dark of night with your headlights reflecting on it

try a reflective vest like a road construction vest, and maybe put some reflective tape on your helmets other than that with out putting on big gawdy reflectors, or large lights that may or maynot give you what you really want.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Another option if you can find it.

Years ago a friend's father worked for the state highway dept. This was before the days of vinyl coating on road signs. They actually painted them with glass particles in in the paint.
Howie had an old Triumph TR3 and a Harley chopper. He painted both with the red stuff they used for stop signs. When headlights hit it, the entire vehicle would light up like a neon sign. Not a lot of color choices though.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

Pearl paints are big$ and a pinstripe won't do much. For night visiblity, either floresant vests or extra lighting is your best bet. We're invisible when the sun's out. Forget about night time. I ride very little after dark. :grin:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Reflective tape... even make it in black that reflects white...

I made this for my helmet. the small shot is room lit, the larger with the flash.

I also have a mess of leds added to the bike for side visibility...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

At night I have a set of reflective straps that some LEO's use. I can't find a source so far. I also had RocketMoto install LED lights in several places on Big Bird that are great at night. For daytime, one of these should do and don't forget modulating headlights.
http://www.safetyvests.com/styles/index.php?&t=90

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.