Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, ive been searching around the web for a little while and im not really finding anything concrete about adding power to the GL1200.
Ive read a little about head swaps, but I still want the machine reliable and from what ive read, they aren't too successful.

So what can one do to get more power out of GL1200? Which coils will work for a hotter burn? Ive looked at a set of Accel universal coils and someone mentioned Dyna coils?

Now mine is a Limited so is there a way of fitting a bigger set of injectors or tuning the "computer"?

Any off the shelf cams?

Id really like to run down my dad on his 1500 Valkyre lol

Thanks!

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
Coils for a 1500 are better than stock 1200 coils.

That's not going to happen.

Unless..........some how the the Valkyre had an air intake restriction............but in my book that's cheating.

Fact is with the Valkyre's light weight, larger engine, and smoother transmission gearing..........................

You can however have more fun and maybe ride more than him You do have a better fairing and if you have some wind wings of some type you can ride every where you go. Learn to low speed peg scrape in first gear for a tight U-turn You could out ride the man by learning to be a better rider in full control of your bike.
Yah know "Take possession" "Own" "take full responsibility" I mean just master the bike and ride safer than him. Absolutely no "operator error"

Take some classes to ride better, make your ride funner than his and don't race him to win.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Upgrade mufflers and jet carbs

One of the best and more affordable mods to add performance to your GL1200 is to replace the stock mufflers with Harley Sportster slip-on mufflers and jet the carbs up one size.

I had a GL1100 with this setup and the upgrade added more HP and more torque. There are 2-3 different Sportster slip-on designs (one design has crossover pipes - this will not work without custom piping).

The pipe OD is the same/similar to the Wing muffler OD.

Search this board and the web...this has been done many times. I love the difference in ride and sound, also. If you stick with stock Sporty mufflers, your bike will not be much louder until you romp on it. Your Harley friends will be impressed by the sound and response.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hey I have a swell idea . Just get rid of your LTD and buy a Valkrie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the replies, I will try and get my hands on some 1500 coils and Harley pipes and start there.

Has anyone used the Accel coils?

Running down the Valkyre is just a fun idea. ive got fast bikes like the SV1000 and the KZ1000. I don't need a hotrod out of this bike, just wanted a little more juice.

As far out-riding the old man, fat chance. He is an accomplished IBA rider and has run the Hoka Hey on his Harley. I am active duty and have to take all the MSF courses and can drag the pegs at not much more than idle. Im not trying to brag here and I mean no disrespect but I do "own" my bikes and "take full responsibility". Im also a mentor for inexperienced riders. please understand we don't race around being irresponsible, I just want a bit more juice out of the bike. thank you

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Well thanks for the replies, I will try and get my hands on some 1500 coils and Harley pipes and start there.

Has anyone used the Accel coils?

Running down the Valkyre is just a fun idea. ive got fast bikes like the SV1000 and the KZ1000. I don't need a hotrod out of this bike, just wanted a little more juice.

As far out-riding the old man, fat chance. He is an accomplished IBA rider and has run the Hoka Hey on his Harley. I am active duty and have to take all the MSF courses and can drag the pegs at not much more than idle. Im not trying to brag here and I mean no disrespect but I do "own" my bikes and "take full responsibility". Im also a mentor for inexperienced riders. please understand we don't race around being irresponsible, I just want a bit more juice out of the bike. thank you
Thank you for doing that thing that you do! :yessir:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
There are mods that you can do that will cause a 1500 to have to chase you... It just depends how much you want to do to your bike.
A 1500 Wing maybe,but the Valkrye is a factory hopped up 1500.Different cams,exhaust and more carbs.The only thing that's going to make a 1200 run with it is maybe a twin turbo set-up. A single turbo might be close.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
Sounds like you could teach me a few things.

I also want to Thank You :july4thflag::july4th::bowing::battle::bowing: :july4th: :july4thflag:
Thank you for doing that thing that you do! :yessir:

Here is what I know and it is not much:

The 1500 coil is better the Volkere may be even better?

There is a way to bypass the ignition circuit using a relay so you get a bit more juice to the coils.

And of course the shedding of weight.

I don't know about getting other injectors.

I wish many safe riding years to you and hopefully someone will know more than me.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
A 1500 Wing maybe,but the Valkrye is a factory hopped up 1500.Different cams,exhaust and more carbs.The only thing that's going to make a 1200 run with it is maybe a twin turbo set-up. A single turbo might be close.
As I said, it just depends what you want to do. There are 1200 motored Gold Wings on the road today that will put the six cylinder Wings and Valk's in the dust... you just have to do the work to them in order for them to perform.

·
21,842 Posts

That's just not true. My Interstate showed well in contests of testosterone with 2 friends and their Valks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the support fellas, I really appreciate it!

I started looking for the coils online today, found some good deals!

Im not sure about mechanical aspiration on this bike. The KZ will get a supercharger or turbo as I haven't built a mech breather yet.

Ive got a buddy whos a big H-D guy and I think he's got a couple sets of sporty pipes sitting around.

this might be a dumb question, but are these CDI ignition bikes? I haven't torn into it enough yet to get intimate with the wiring

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your service!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
That's just not true. My Interstate showed well in contests of testosterone with 2 friends and their Valks.

Well, in a photo maybe!:ROFL:

Seriously, a friend of mine who is a good Goldwing wrencher believes that porting and polishing and oversize valving the heads on his '86 GL1200 Interstate will make a big difference, combined with freer-flow pipes will make a big difference. I just asked him, "What will the engine displacement be after you do that?"

Before I'd spend the time and money to turn a GL1200 into a Valkerie hunter, I'd just buy a GL1500 (what I did) or buy a Valk. I've ridden my brother-in-law's Valk and it is a sporty ride.:)

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
As I said, it just depends what you want to do. There are 1200 motored Gold Wings on the road today that will put the six cylinder Wings and Valk's in the dust... you just have to do the work to them in order for them to perform.

Maybe so,but I'm betting that it took a lot more than coils,jetting and HD mufflers.It's going to take some good head work to make any of that other stuff work much good.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Hello all, ive been searching around the web for a little while and im not really finding anything concrete about adding power to the GL1200.
Ive read a little about head swaps, but I still want the machine reliable and from what ive read, they aren't too successful.

So what can one do to get more power out of GL1200? Which coils will work for a hotter burn? Ive looked at a set of Accel universal coils and someone mentioned Dyna coils?

Now mine is a Limited so is there a way of fitting a bigger set of injectors or tuning the "computer"?

Any off the shelf cams?

Thanks!
Why? He's likely running a bike that's no heavier (maybe even lighter), is 10 years or so newer, with 300 more CCs and 2 extra carbs. Be happy that he's having to buy more gas per mile than you ..... for a fact. :?

Also, a good tune and removal of excess weight along with using that 7500 rpm redline will close it up pretty good.

A GL1200 in standard form minus a few pounds ..... then things would be more "equal".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.