Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am currently researching GL1500 as I am thinking about buying one.I have found alot of interesting info on this site but very little on performance upgrades.Are there few aftermarket parts (pipes/cams/etc) or am I just missing them?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

How fat is your wallet? :cooldevil:

After market exhaust are the most common and widely available items, while turbo/super chargers are available on a custom build basis.

A well maintained 1500 will have enough performance for 98% of owners. If not, then perhaps you should be looking at a sport tourer, rather than a full blown touring bike?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

BJfunbear, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, YES, there are performance options for the GL1500.

There's a 4*advance triggerwheel,

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Goldwing-Valkyrie-Interstate-GL1500-Trigger-Wheel-004_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5171
defcQQitemZ190344978172QQptZMotorcyclesQ5
fPartsQ5fAccessories.

Then I've seen "torque Tubes, which replace the header pipes & claim up to 30 HP increase.

I bought a 1997 1500 in July of this year, & believe me, it will go fast, FAST. It willcruise at 95mph all day, two up. When I do my timing belts this winter I plan to go with the trigger wheel. I do believe the hp gain with the exhaust is way too optimistic.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance....-Rich

·
Premium Member
389 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

Dont forget the E3 diamond spark plugs, at least 3 hp gain. Carb tweaking is another biggie, bigger jets n stuff.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I am just looking into whats out there cause no bike I have owned ever stayed stock ;)
My uncle has a Valkyrie Interstate and I would not mind being able to walk it just to irk him.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

LMAO... start with exhaust system and rejetting, spark plug tip above is another good upgrade that I have learned but not had time to try yet. Advance trigger is on my list as well.

Cant find it now but had an article book marked from a blog... guy installed a 50 shot NOS system on his 1500, supposedly you can have an intake injector machined and spray into the mix at 30% for around a 30HP boost when pulling loads up hills or passing etc... NOT recommended for high RPM application

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be surprised if something isn't already available.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

YUP there it is in fact ... there were two of those with braided steel running to a bottle in the trunk and a digital controller mouted on the handle bars

May seem a bit extreme but the engine is supposed to be able to take it no problem and 30 HP is A LOT more muscle when you need it than anyone may really realize.

Maybe a 350 dollar upgrade? 30 HP at the rear wheel for less that the cost of good quality slip on mufflers.

WOW

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

I have put the 4 degree trigger and the Torque monster pipes that replace the exhaust unit and make it true duals. It makes nice noises without being loud. I can't really see a big difference in performance and the mileage doesn't seem to have changed. I am going to try a set of Macs mufflers next. If I don't like the noise I can always go back to the stock pieces. The 4 degree wheel did stop the stumble off idle so it was worthwhile without a performance gain. I understand that the later 1500s don't need this.(mines an 89) I know there are people here on the website that can tell you what years.
Admittedly I have done no tests to check performance so this is just my opinion.
Bill

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Interesting.. Ill keep this in mind.
AspectOne wrote:
YUP there it is in fact ... there were two of those with braided steel running to a bottle in the trunk and a digital controller mouted on the handle bars

May seem a bit extreme but the engine is supposed to be able to take it no problem and 30 HP is A LOT more muscle when you need it than anyone may really realize.

Maybe a 350 dollar upgrade? 30 HP at the rear wheel for less that the cost of good quality slip on mufflers.

WOW

·
751 Posts
imported post

One thing to remember is if it ain`t broke don`t fix it ! You want fast go to www.Marine Turbine Technologies.com click on the y2k superbike Jay leno has 1 0-250 mph in under 15 seconds or go to www.bosshoss.com home of the I cudda had a v-8 just remember a goldwing is a goldwing it is not a sport bike & it is not a drag bike you get FROM POINT A-Z in style & comfort ! my 2 cents worth !

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

N2O is great, but dangerous on a bike for a first-time user IMO... not to mention it is a active power-adder.

Turbo-charging is a passive system, and less dangerous than N2O in all aspects for a motorcycle (unless it is a straight-track bike) and still supplies a level of risk... again, IMO.

Although I've never done either to a bike, I've had a few vehicles that were turbo-equipped, one with N2O in addition.

My'93 Olds Achieva with a Quad-4 and T-3 Turbo was nothing to sneeze at on I-10 between Phoenix and Tuscon, and was my favorite.My '87 Grand National w/N2O to supplement lag spoke for itself with no denial accepted, and my '73 Vega w/ a stroked SB400 and using a 2-stage N2O set-up died from a thrown rod tantrum of a fit one clear night at Budds Creek in Md. (Isold it and built my XL).

I would have to change (read: adapt)every riding characteristic I've ever learned to safely ride a bike with either power-adder.... but that's me, and I'm certain I could master the art of one, or both.

Edit: based on my expierence, you would NEVER want to activate your N2O system unless at WOT... For a bike, to me, that translates into a straight-track-only app.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Most likely I would maybe put on some pipes and retune the carbs at most .I Do not want to compromise the reliability as it is a tourer and not a sporty bike.I used to have a 78 trans am we dropped a 396 with N20 into ..loads of fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.