Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been working on my GL1100 for about two weeks now and having never owned before I have no idea what to expect as far as acceleration or top end. I ride a 99 1500 Vulcan classic and an 81 sportster that I restored from the ground up. I rebuilt an xs1100 Yamaha last year so I am not new to wrenching. I suspect carb problems but this one of my many weaknesses. Is there a video available that has a walk through? I deal better with pictures. Thanks...Cosmo

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Randakkl sells a booklet to go with his carb kit for the 1100. He sells a video but it is specific to the 1000 series. For straight line performance it should be above your sporty butbelow your XS.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

My performance is way short of these specs so it looks like I need to start looking into why. Any ideas before I pull carbs?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I would go with a Sea Foam treatment. Just do a search on this site, lots of info on this topic. Do this before you pull carbs etc. and then try riding it. Also drain the carb bowels. This will make a big difference in the way the bike runs.

Drag times are under ideal conditions with a professional driver so one's own results will be different. There is not a lot of difference in drag times of the 1000-1100 bikes. Somebody will take me to task on this one.

These bikes once you get the revs up in the 6500+ range will really haul ass. The earlier wings 75-77 came out in the times of the early super bikes so they like to rev. I wouldn't subject them to this type of treatment on a regular basis but save it for when you need it.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

O.K. I am a believer in SeaFoam and put some in when I first got the bike and have run three tanks with it in. It ran poorly but I did not have any idea what to expect. Put new plugs in two weeks ago and pulled them today. #3 cylinder plug was black...the others looked great (light brown). Going to try the easy things first. Plug wire, then valve adjustment but have a sneaky suspicion that carb is the problem. Is there an easy way to check?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Check the ignition, valves, and I would also do a Compression test. If nothing rears it head during those then you need to look at the carbs.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Update #2...Pulled the carbs, dust in the #3 bowl. Time for a good clean...Cosmo

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you're not new to wrenching you may not have any problems at all. i did my 1200 with no experience. only using service manuals. tuned to manual specifications and she runs great. use randall kit which is the best.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

i just redid some 1100 carbs last week found the tubes that carry gas to different carbs were cloged cleaned them out with parts cleaner. cleaned little fillers made a world of differnce

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I think the Goldwing 1100 is pretty fast. As fast as my CBs were and more.

The main thing I like is that it has enough power for driver and passenger when going up hills without shifting down all the time. A great long distance bike at 55mph+.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Got things back together yesterday and what a difference! The float in the offending carb was upside down. Tremendous power boost when four are working. I will run a couple of tanks of gas with Seafoam and and sync. I might even buy a speedo cable and check mileage. I am thinking about 35mpg? Is that about right?

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

I get a steady 40mpg on my 83 . Glad to hear you have her running better now.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

cosmotg wrote:
I am thinking about 35mpg? Is that about right?
Depends greatly on how fast you ride ... above 65 and the mileage will drop a lot.

Our '80s generally run 45 ish. As high as 50 mpg and as low as 35mpg (with trailer and head wind).

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Performance and mileage also vary greatly whether it's a Standard or Faired GL1100. My '80 Standard had much quicker feeling acceleration than my '82 Aspy. That's an objective observation since I never had either on the clock but the Standard version is much lighter which helps with the acceleration, I don't know about the difference in top end, the Standard was a bit hard on this old guy at 100mph. I like hiding behind a fairing at higher speeds.

Ya just gotta love that skinny lookin' machine. I hated to sell that bike after rebuilding it but the profit from that paid for my Calhoun trip. Jluvs2dive had a GL1200 Standard that was beautiful, unfortunately he also had to sell it once he got it in running shape. I hope to have my '76 in roadworthy shape by this spring, these old naked 'Wings are a blast to ride. I'll never sell my '93 Aspy, but having a naked 'Wing for local rides is great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I totally agree with Exavid. Those specs above were for a Standard model. Pretty quick for a wing. I picked up an 83 Aspy that hit a deer. I am converting it into a Standard and am looking forward to riding it.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.