Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looked/asked around about a rust remover to take heavy rust deposits off the chrome. Ended up picking up a 8 oz container of Permatex Rust Dissolver Gel. Looks like pepto bismol. Probably is- who knows. Anyway the stuff kicks! I used it with a brass wire brush. I got it at Pep Boys. Don't laugh I was desperate. About 6 bucks with CA 9.999999 sircharge. Buy it.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Way better than I thought it would especially with the brush. The brand made me buy it because it was Permatex. The way it performed will make me buy it again.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Dunno. Got it to knock the heavy rust off chrome. Never used it on aluminum. It's fairly aggressive but not overly. For five bucks you could always do a test treatment. Sez limit application to five minutes for chrome but it didn't hurt it and the chromium isn't exactly in show condition anymore anyway. I should have done before/after jpgs but pressed for time.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

.escogold wrote:
Way better than I thought it would especially with the brush. The brand made me buy it because it was Permatex. The way it performed will make me buy it again.
I think this is the making of a commercial. Send this as an email to Permatex:action:.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Got on Permatex site, read the directions & uses. Says don't use on chrome...?
Chrome is rather durable.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Says on the bottle don't leave it on chrome for more than five minutes. I did that first time and then got used to working with it and left it on longer. Didn't hurt the chrome but then again there's chrome and then there's chrome. I wouldn't use it on show chrome but that's not what it's for. Worked for me.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Yes its good stuff. I just used it last week on the underside of my trunk mounts. Really does a good job. And yep, it looks like Pepto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.