Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK I just did a MAJOR overhaul on my 1500. I replaced new seals, new bushings, new progressive springs, top and bottom steering bearings and now after around 300 + miles not only do I have a low speed wobble , but it's leaking on both tubes???. I followed the not only the manual but also several different diaghrams for the seal install. It all went smooth!!. I used OEM parts for the forks, so there is no after market stuff in them. I followed the turorial on this site during and after the install??. I don't believe the seals were installed upside down. I tried to apply air pressure on the tubes today and it would hold only for a few moments. I put 10.9 OZ on the right fork and 11.0 OZon the left. The only thing I can think of is when I seated the seals into there seats I used a piece of PVC tubing and tapped it with a soft blow hammer to seat them. I may have cut the inside of the seals??. I tried to pump up the tubes today with air and squirt soap around the dust seals to see if it was leaking air!!. No leaks around there!!. So short of removing the front end again does anyone have any other testing methods I can do before the removal????.

THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!:needahug:. I NEED A HUG!!!!!!:D99 GL 1500

Thanks Allan

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Try the SEAL MATE. INFO on one of these threads somewhere just a couple of days ago on how to make your own. Might just be a little dirt in there or they have to seat in. Nice tutorial video on how to use them. sealmate.com?
I just put new seals in my 750 and one leaked for a few weeks and then stopped.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

That is weird. I can see one side but if both are leaking maybe something was done wrong on the reassembly? Did you make sure to fully drive the outer bushings all the way down? Also I know that one time I stupidly mixed up the order of parts. I put the seal in, the backup ring (Large flat washer), the spring clip and then the dust seal. After I realized the mistake, I pulled it apart and did it right: backup ring (flat part down), seal with side with the markings stamped in on the up side, spring clip and the dust cap. Is it possible that you did one of these different? Also the slider part has to be free of any burrs and completely smooth or itcould cause a tear in the seals. And I have always used PVC pipe to drive in the seal and never had a problem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A couple of things to consider. Did you lube the fork tubes and seals with fork oil before sliding the seals down the tubes. Also I always put a single layer wrap at the top of the tubes to protect the seal's inner lips from being damaged by the sharp edge. A piece of plastic pipe is what I always seat the seals with, no problem there as long as the pipe is not bearing on the inner part of the seal.

The two things I've seen a few times that cause premature failure of seals is damaged seals from dry installation, upside down seals and over filled forks. On my 1500 I filled the forks with the same amount that the Honda manual called for instead of what Progressive recommended. After nearly 100,000 miles they hadn't leaked yet and the forks behaved as they should. With Progressive springs I never used air in the forks, didn't need it.

Take a close look at your seals to make sure the writing is on the upper side of the seal. That's very important.

Air pressure may not show a leak because it could just press the seal harder against the fork tube. Also leaks usually require the fork tubes to be moving in and out of the lower sliders to help pump the oil out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.