Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi,just been along garage to have another go starting the bike jumping it of a car,the bike being a 1981 gl1100,whick stood for 11 years in someones garage,have put new belts on it along with a decent bank of carbs,the bike tried hard to start but wouldnt quite catch,noticed petrol dripping from the joins on number 3&4 exhausts,when i checked the plugs 3&4 were wet and 1&2 dry,any ideas on this one much appreciated as i dont realy want to be taking carbs of again,cheers john.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If you have gas dripping for the pipes you may have gas in you oil..I'd check it. Sorry to say you probably have to pull the carbs..unless you really flooded it yourself you have a sticking float needle or hung up float..both, floats set wrong or a leak in an o-ring seal that is allowing gas to flow in the intakes.

What the next post says is true to a total fuel system cleaning and rebuild is in order most likely..

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

After 11 years of not running I would saythat a few things would have to be done before attempting to start the engine. I would have sprayed the cylinders down with some liguid wrench or pb rust blaster and let them sit for a few days, then turn the engine by hand to make sure that it is free to turn.

I would say that the entire fuel system will need cleaning out (that includes the carbs). Inspect the fuel tank and see if it has rust in it and if it has lots of rust then the tank needs to be replaced or put a tank liner in it.

The fuel petcock should be removed and cleaned out also.

The fuel in the # 3& 4 exhaust and the wet plugs is more than likely caused by the carbs flooding over. The carbsflooding over can be caused by rust inside them, bad floats, bad fuel inlet needle & seat ect. The carbs have to be cleaned out and/or rebuilt correctly or you will have problems as such. The carbs most likely will have to be removed again and the rest of the fuel system cleaned to get it done correctly.

Good luck!:waving:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hi,thanks for the reply,i oiled the bores etc,and checked the tank, fuel flow ,petrol pump and other things before starting,the carbs were cleaned by the person i got them from he knows his stuff so they should be sound,i cant help wondering why only 3&4 are leaking,is it possible they are not fireing and 1&2 are.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

not likely they are on different coils and ignition sets. Gas leaking is almost always as I outlined above..

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Check the bottom of the tank because it will have the most rust and that is where the gas gets picked up at. It does not take much rust to cause thefloatto stay open andleak. Check the float setting which could be wrong...that can cause it to flood over. Carb cleaning requires sometimes jet drills or wire less than .010 inch to properly clean out all the jets and the emulsion tubes. If all of the fuel system is not cleaned out correctly the carbs may continue to have trouble. To check 3 & 4 firing.... remove the plugs and set the metal spark plug shell onto the engine cases while plugged up, turn on the ignition andenergize the starter button a few times while watching for a spark. The float bowls are probably running over due to trash, settings, ect.:waving:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.