Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Well I have been working like a beaver to get my bike on the road, and today I finally got its M.O.T. :grinner:

I took the bike for a run this evening, around 100 miles and it seems to be fine other than this VERY strong smell of petrol. It is a US spec GL1500 1989, I balanced the carbs, but I am beginning to think that the bike is running a little rich. I also noticed that after a fair blast of lets say aggresive riding :pupon restarting I am getting the odd backfire (so I think this is burning the excess fuel)

Whilst parked in my garage I can smell petrol. No petrol appears to be leaking anywhere. I should add that I have used rather alot of petrol also :shock:, well more than I think I should.

Any thoughts on where I should begin?

Many thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Suspect a vacuum petcock diaphragm leak.

Is there wetness in the fuel filler overfill tray ?

This will also cause the middle cylinder on the right side to foul, in the later stages when the diaphragm really falls apart.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Good points Tonys96and welcome to the forum. A look at the spark plugs is probably in order here, you can tell if one bank is running richer than the other and take it from there.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies

Suspect a vacuum petcock diaphram leak. - Where abouts is this? :?

Is there wetness in the fuel filler overfill tray ? - No fuel here

I will check the plugs shortly and post back

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If the petcock is to blame it will probably only be one spark plug, on the 1989 the vacuum line that operates the vacuum petcock originates on the middle runner on the right hand bank of cylinders.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The vacuum petcock is located directly in front of the gas filler cap inside the shelter. Attached to the fuel filler tray with a single bolt from the bottom.

It is the metal object ~1.5 inches in diameter with two fuel lines and one vacuum line. the fuel lines should come in and exit from the right and the vacuum line should come in from the left

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Many thanks Tonys96

I will take a look later today, and post back with my findings

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

How is the low speed smoothness.

Mine was in the shop 5 different times for this issue always misdiagnosed as carb synch or dirty carbs.

If you have any doubts first contact your local parts supplier check the availability of the petcock, then remove yours and disassemble it on the bench. Check for any small (or in my case large) holes or tears in the digphram. You may or may not be able to reassemble the diaphragm. The diaphragm is actually a double diaphragm, one side for fuel, the other for the vacuum, there is also a closure sping inside.

I can get pictures when I get home from work, 6:00AM(-7 GMT)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Low speed smoothness seems fine, although I have noticed the bike cut out on a couple of occasions when I have pulled up at the traffic lights. It starts again without any problems though.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the above. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Yes relevent, if there are no fuel or vacuum issues the bike will never "cut out" and should pull smoothly in top gear from 750 RPM. No stumbles during partial throttle operation.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok well I have just come in from a short ride on the bike, it cut out twice at junctions. I also noticed, that I had to give it a few more revs than normal to get it to pull away!I know the carbs are set up correctly, and working well as I have only set them up less than 200 miles ago.

Do you think this points towards the above (vacuum petcock diaphragm leak), if so I will pull it off and open it up to look at. ;)

Do I take it that they are a bit awkward to put back together? :shock:

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

mark1247 wrote:
Do you think this points towards the above (vacuum petcock diaphragm leak), if so I will pull it off and open it up to look at. ;)

Do I take it that they are a bit awkward to put back together? :shock:

Regards

Mark
Yes and yes, check the parts availability first.

Attached is a picture of the petcock removed form the bike and disassembled.

When reassembling you may want to use a amall amount of silicone grease in the groove to hold the diaphrahgm in place. The two longer screws go to the bottom and attach the mount, make sure the weep hole is at the bottom as well.

To remove, you'll need to first remove the shelter, disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines, remove the gas cap (place a rag over the fuel tank opening) and lift the fuel filler tray to obtain access to the single mounting bolt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for the reply once again Tonys96

I took the side of the bike this evening and removed the plugs, a sure sign that it is indeed running rich.

I also disconnected the vacuum pipe from near the plugs and sucked as hard as I could :shock:. Although I did not get a mouthful of petrol, I could see the remains and indeed squeeze a drop out of the pipe. I therefore suspect a pin hole in the diaphragm.

I have emailed the supplier to see if the diaphragm is available, lets hope so!

Thanks again for your help, and excellent photograph. I will keep you posted. ;)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The part Is available here, $130.00 U.S.

If you need some help, I have experience with overseas shipping.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
The part Is available here, $130.00 U.S.

If you need some help, I have experience with overseas shipping.

What can I say, thankyou YET again. If I get stuck I will certainly drop you a line.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Well done Tonys96, it's good to have contacts on the other side of the big pond! :waving:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Well done Tonys96, it's good to have contacts on the other side of the big pond! :waving:
If you guys need things you cannot get, drop me a line and we can work something out. I'm not an exporter, but can help out a few friends.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Ok well I have now fitted a new petcock assembly, man we get ripped off here in the UK.... £130 :shock:

Anyhow, I have just been for a short ride, 20 miles and the bike did not cut out at anytime. However the bike still smells of petrol :?, is this normal? I have had all the carbs to bits prior to fitting the new petcock as one of the sliders was stuck, and all is well here.

Could it be down to a vacuum pipe somewhere? is the smell normal? my plugs on the right hand side bank are all black, showing signs of richness (although these were like this prior to installing the new petcock, and I have not replaced them since - do you think I should) I have already fitted a new air filter, so I know this is not at fault either.

I feel a little uneasy riding the bike far untill I know what the problem is, the last thing I want is petrol going past the rings and causing any damage. As ever any help would be most appreciated, I really want to get out and ride before the dreaded UK weather gets worse.

Here's hoping you Wingmasters can help!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mark, it sounds to me like the petrol smell might be genrerated by your right hand carb. Since you say the plugs are black it's a good chance either the float valve is leaking or the carb is way out of adjustment. As for diluting your oil, pull the dipstick, feel the stuff and give it a sniff. If there's much gas in the oil it's usually pretty obvious.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks for the reply exavid;)

The carbs should be ok, I had them setup with vacuum gauges less than 150 miles ago. I will however check, and look at the float valve (dreading removing the carbs again)

Do the bikes normally give off a petrol smell? :baffled:It is from the normal area, above the air filter, and fuel cap.

The plugs could well be black from the petcock problem, I will remove them all clean them up, go for a ride and check again. The airfilter was totally blocked with a mouse nest :shock:when I got the bike, andone slider was stuck open. Thedeposits on the plug may well be from then.

Here's looking forward to riding rather than fixing! :grinner:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.