petrolI have to let the bike lie up for a couple of hours

To get rid of the smell.There is no problem when the engine is running

Has anyone experienced this problem

Paul Dolan

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Check the filler cap is sealing properly. Lift the flap and with the cap still on, bend down and look for fumes coming up from the cap. If there is a lot of petrol vapour rising up then the cap isn't sealing properly. The small vent in the cap only releases a small amount of vapour that isn't really visible, so a big vapour trail is bad news.

If that isn't the problem, check for carb flooding. They can flood into the exhausts so check for the smell down there as well.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

sounds like a needle sticking in a carb after the engine is shut down ,which could lead to the carb flooding ,,,,

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm going to assume it's not the carb since you don't say anything about flooding or hard starting.Most likely a slight fuel leak, it wouldn't take much just a seep would do it. Do you notice any pressureventing fromthe tank when you take the cap off? The hose from the top of the cap is supposed to vent through a charcoal filter, if the filter is plugged up or the vent hose plugged the smell might be from vapor leaking from the vent line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.