Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is is ok to use petroleum Jelly on rubber grommets that hold the plastic panels on?

It may not be prefered but will it not dammage anything?

Its just much easier for me to pickup in my area.

Thanks

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

It will not hurt anything but your wallet when the plastic falls off on the road. Too slippery.

JD

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

flw as the name states ( petroleum jelly) it will eat your rubber grommets up over time . You should be able to find new ones, then go to walmart and get some fishing leads put them on your side covers and around you frame you wont lose them now. Hal

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

but it takes allllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng

lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time for the jelly to eat rubber grommets just put a DAB on them

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Plumbers grease. It's also silicone based and waterproof and sticky so it stays in place pretty good.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I just spray and wipe mine with WD-40.:shock:

If the grommets go bad I will buy new.

They are cheap enough.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

The main thing not good about using petrolium jelly is when it get's hot, it'll run and create a heckuva mess,even using just a small amount. I would suggest using either some soapy water or, (I just KNOW I'm gonna get razzed about this!!), some water based "personal lubricant" such as KY jelly.. After either one you use dries there's no worries about degrading the rubber grommet or melting grease allowing the cover to pop off or the area it's used attracting alot of dust or dirt...

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I would never razz you about using a personal lubricant, Don. I've used it in the past as well. Just not on my bike. You sir, are sick.:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
So Don, you're saying that KY won't damage the rubber? :shock:
Nossir it won't hurt a thing....

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I would never razz you about using a personal lubricant, Don. I've used it in the past as well. Just not on my bike. You sir, are sick.:thumbsdown:
Sticks and stones may break my bones,

but whips and chains excite me!!!! :whip::shock::cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pledge 'em.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

So it sounds like I really should use the silicone based lube. I was looking for a short cut but I can wait till I get buy a auto parts place.

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I could see the fishing leaders working well for keeping things from being lost on the road, but I believe Rudy makes some panel keepers for that as well. Petroleum jelly shouldn't cause any problems in the near future, but it is "petroleum based" so it will eventually degrade rubber. the main issue would be the heat thing and the slippery issue though.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Sorry guys-just saw this...I'm guessing the KY will work best on the rearmost holes...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ya know i know that some of us love our bikes more than others but im telling ya there are some things you SHOULD NOT TRY like sticking a key into a electrical outlet, peeing on a electric fence

and having thoughts of ky jelly and a motorcycle....

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

If you are having trouble getting the panels on, try some of nature's lubricant - spit. It will dry up later and leave the panels tight so they won't blow off.

The panels should be hard to get off so they won't just blow off but if yours are excessively tight, wrap a piece of fine sandpaper around a pencil or dowel rod and lightly buff the part where the peg fits - just one or two easy strokes at a time until you get the fit you want. Too much and you'll be replacing the grommets and the side covers.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I recommend dry grommets, they hold much better. I have used WD-40 on rubber for more than 40 years without a problem, recently mounted a tire with it. Problem is it is too slippery. If the panels will not pop into place, get new grommets if yours are old, and use water if they are new, It evaporates completely. I also recommend some kind of keepers/tethers, especially for the sidecovers. I lost one of mine on my way home after buying the bike. There are no screws in the sidecovers, the grommets are the ONLY thing keeping them in place.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.