·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

img.http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.force/photos/swingarm.jpg

img.http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.force/photos/tool.jpg

At last finally got it:cheeky1:

bTW it is a pic of a home made swingarm tool for torqueing the swingarm pivot nut up on my Gl1200 which i needed to replace the old corroded s/arm last year it is made of a 32mm socket and a bit of steel bar with an old 1/2" drive socket welded on for the torque wrench to fit in, the end of the big socket has been ground away to provide four lugs to locate on the nut, a piece cut off an old 10mm allen key is passed through the socket to hold the center bolt while the nut is tightened up, you can torque up the center bolt by fitting a 10mm socket to the outer end of the allen key section.

Hope this is of some use to you fellow wingers out there.:waving:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The grooves in the socket were put in using a 6" bench mounted grindstone,fitted with a 1/2" wide stone, mark 4 equally spaced points on the outside of the socket and then gently grind each one the width of the stone, once you have a recess you can locate two recesses at once on the stone which will help to keep them in line, the lugs on mine are 6mm deep x 11mm wide the outer diameter of the socket is 40mm, the centres of the two 1/2" sockets when welded to the bars is approximately 70mm this i took a guess at while looking at the proper hondame though tool being used in the Honda w/shop manual using the bike behind it for reference, i used the torque figures given in the book but cannot guarantee its accuracy with the home made tool, it was good enough for me:clapper:though another tip is if you grind it just enough to undo the nut you can then fettle it so as to be a good fit on the nut assuming that you dont have a spare one about the place:p

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Ingeniouse, this is one reason why there are so many older Wings still running around, bringing pleasure to their owners.

Thanks for shairing the tip and the photo... :clapper:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Stick around folks theres more where that came from.:cool:

Having and renovating anold Wing:shock: is sure one hell of a learning curve.;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Malc,

What did you weld it with? Looks nice! In my shop I have a AC buzzbox and an acetylene torch sure do envy those guys that have access to TIG.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It was stainless steel bar tig welded to the sockets using stainless 316 wire, just let it cool down on its own dont quench it or it may crack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.