Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just purchased a GL1000,

It runs decent, but the throttle seems a bit heavy and has a nice idle tick.

All the chrome is rusty, and has been cleaned before with something

that left it hazy real bad.

It has a trunk and both sidebags, made by Shoei, I don't know who the

maker of the fairing is, there is no markings. I assume it's Shoei also,

any suggestions would be appreciated. One turn signal fixture and the

headlamp assembly are missing.

It also came with an extra motor, radiator, exhaust, head, and several

boxes of junk. The extra motor is supposed to be short on compression

in one head.

The seat was rebuilt lately, it's very nice.

The bags are horribly rusted.
Feel free of any comments or suggestions, good or very bad!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'd just throw a Plexifairing on it and ride it like it is. Might want to get some case guards though.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I think you are right about the fairing being a Shoei fairing.....You also mentioned about someone cleaning the chrome and leaving it "frosted looking" ...The PO of my Wing had on several places used what appeared to be comet and/or 000 steel wool..Left the chrome with a "frosted look"...some of it wasn't too bad and I was able to buy some chrome cleaner then applied the Mothers chrome polish and got those pieces serviceable again....But some pieces I just had to break down and have it re chromed, I still have a few more pieces to have redone, but it can wait....Chrome doesn't make it run....

If it were my Wing I would check with Crescent Moon cycles to see if they have a Vetter setup front to rear.....Shoei parts maybe difficult at best to find..If you are wanting to keep it as is then re chrome your parts....This all depends on you, how much you are willing to spend, and what you want to achieve.....

Throttle cables can be found at JCWhitney for a fraction of the Honda cables....I bought ALL cables for my 82 from JCWhitney, prices were cheaper when I bought mine but throttle cables are $18.00 for the pull, and $17.00 for the push cables..But first give yours a good shot of penetrating oil, see if they "free up"... Just a thought...

Before you run it too much you might also want to look into changing out the timing belts, they are not that expensive at the local auto parts houses.....Look up part numbers in Tech Forum....For all after market part numbers.....There are lots of things to look at and helpful hints and tips in the Tech Forum...Even pictures to help you change out those timing belts....

Lastly like the man says "its your dime" so I can't really tell you what to do, but I can say what ever you do decide to do ...Enjoy your Wing..Ride it often.....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Nice bike I too bought a older bike
The fender I used a metal cleaner on it and yes it left a haze on it but the mother chrome polish and a powerball cleaned it right up.

Highly recommend yo get the timing belt changed, small price to pay for a large dollar repair if it breaks.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am hopeful of getting the chrome looking better using Mother's.

Fairing and bags are not a big deal .....Yet.

Yes, My first order of business is timing belts.

And, I will upload the rest of my initial photos

to Shutterfly so I can post them together.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

never dull or s100 restorer on the chrome. By the way, great looking bike.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you pull the heads off your other motor, I think you will find that your compression issue is head or valve related & not piston. You could slowly get that repaired & ready should you ever need it! I also agree that you need engine guards as a priority. If your wing falls over while running, you will snap a cam pully off & cause a piston to colide with a valve. instant junk motor!

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.