Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for starting a new thread on this, but for all the world (and searching), I could not locate the existing thread:

At one point there was a discussion about attempting to recover the images from the old-forum structure and have them (in some way) available in this new forum.

Having just gone through a similar operation, I know that trying to "map" or "port" the photos can be a complete nightmare, and now that members have created new Photo Galleries, the task is all that much more complex.

I was just wondering if any effort or thought had been put into creating some sort of access to the old photo galleries?

As an aside, the approach I used on my similar project here was to spider the site for "IMG" links to my URL that returned 404 errors to create a list of posts sorted by post-author. This would provide a list of contributions where images hosted by the old platform had broken. Each author with "broken" images was provided a list of their affected posts, as well as access to a directory of the old images. I used the dispersed labor of all these authors to copy their old gallery images into the new gallery space, and also to update their old posts with links to the new gallery image URLs. I was working with just under 2700 broken hosted-image links across fewer than 500 authors, but the task was completed in about 6-weeks of "casual-time" by the helpful authors. As an added bonus, a minor modification to the original search allows me to run monthly reports of broken image links that are NOT from my domain, and dispatch the break information to the individual authors - I'm told that this is helping to keep the image content more viable. Something like this could be done on a forum-by-forum basis (ie: the Technical forum first, and the "For Sale" forum not at all ?)

:?

·
Administrator
1,191 Posts
Hello satan,

Our tech team is working on making the old gallery accessible again so they can retrieve images and recreate any albums they want.

The issue should be fixed by - latest - the end of the next week.

Thanks for addressing this issue.

~Alan - Community Support

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Hello satan,

Our tech team is working on making the old gallery accessible again so they can retrieve images and recreate any albums they want.

:sleepy::waiting::sleepy2:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello satan,

Next week (or even next month) would be amazing indeed. I was just noting the number of Google and other searches that resolve to broken image links - Traffic that we are all missing. I'd even thought about running a few Google-scrapes to develop a thumbnail index of the images to recreate broken links, but our stuff was not as popular with the search engine (we all know that Google loves GoldwingFacts.com .

Thank you for the update, and I do wish you luck on the effort (I do not envy the work).

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
You know, one thing that would be fairly easy is to have the admin 'backup' the images folder(s) and then using a file manager, extract from that all the full size images for .jpg and any other and save those in one large html accessible folder.
Then let the members have read only access to that folder and let them copy an paste their own images out of the pile. They should be able to identify their own images and then let them insert them into the new gallery themselves.
Don't worry about whose is who's, let the members figure that out. None of the images are high security issues so there is no reason not to do that. Leave the extracted image folder up for say 180 days and then kill it.

In summary...

1. Admin simply grabs all the existing full size jpg images from all of the archived member galleries.

2. Admin save those in a big pile accessible from ftp or html.

3. Admin allows the users to copy the images that belong to them from the pile with their browsers (read-only).

4. Users find, copy and paste their own images into a local folder

5. Users create their own new gallery in the new system and upload the recovered images themselves.

6. Admin notifies the membership that they have 180 days to access and sort through the pile of old images and how to get to them.

It's way less overhead for management and it distributes the load and responsibility for getting the work done. Also no programmers required since there is no import / export going on.

That's how I do it when needed with my member galleries.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, Rudy... very similar to the approch I've run with previously, and since this formum permits the users to edit older posts, the forum members could be encouraged to 'repair' the broken image links in their existing posts (I see too many fine posts that are now much less meaningful without their images).

My fingers are crossed.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Pictures available soon?????

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Hey. The Easter Bunny was to show up last Sunday and he never did!!!! What's up with that???:ROFL:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
omg!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Depending on what galaxy and time zone you are in, it should be getting close.
It does not bother me that the pictures are not here, but rather, the unkept promises of next week for the past six months.
I will admit, I am computer stupid, and cannot imagine the amount of work it takes to move the pictures over, but a bit of honesty would be appreciated. Promises kept?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The task itself is a real booger, and can be complicated by how the original (old) images were stored and organized... but I do have'ta wonder about the say /v/ do relationship thing (all that said now, they images probably are already waiting, but are being held-back by some other more relevant process).

My largest concern is the number of Google (and other) searches that should land on a good thread here, that instead lead would-be readers to a post that has no value without the accompanying images... often threads that used to be well-illustrated and very helpful and could be a gateway for advertising revenues (unique views) are now empty and meaningless and that reader is 'going elsewhere' to find their information.

Ah well... Sorry we missed Easter. ;)

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
The task itself is a real booger, and can be complicated by how the original (old) images were stored and organized...

My largest concern is the number of Google (and other) searches that should land on a good thread here, that instead lead would-be readers to a post that has no value without the accompanying images...
It should be quite simple to re-instate the missing images in old posts, assuming a back-up file from the old server is still available.

There were on the old server in the format:

Code:
http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/123/123_051241_560000001.jpg
where the /123/ sub-folder is the user's ID number.

If the old /gallery/ folder is copied as-is to the new server, all the images in the old posts would become visible again.

The problem is that this wouldn't recreate the Photo Gallery in the new software or allow members to access and edit their old pictures in there.

But getting the old posts working again is surely the most important requirement? If necessary members can recreate their Gallery by uploading afresh.

regards,

Martin.

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
##My largest concern is the number of Google (and other) searches that should land on a good thread here, that instead lead would-be readers to a post that has no value without the accompanying images....
thats a non-issue Stan,, as a sitemap gets sent to Google every day so the links to threads and posts are always up to date.

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
It should be quite simple to re-instate the missing images in old posts, assuming a back-up file from the old server is still available.

There were on the old server in the format:

Code:
http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/123/123_051241_560000001.jpg
where the /123/ sub-folder is the user's ID number.

If the old /gallery/ folder is copied as-is to the new server, all the images in the old posts would become visible again.

The problem is that this wouldn't recreate the Photo Gallery in the new software or allow members to access and edit their old pictures in there.

But getting the old posts working again is surely the most important requirement? If necessary members can recreate their Gallery by uploading afresh.

regards,

Martin.

i think the folders are all still there, , but the problem is we all have different member ID numbers to what we had before, and the old gallery image folders have our old member ID numbers. so working out who owned what gallery folder in the old days is a headache.
but as you said, having the old pictures available at all will be better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.