Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
If the old /gallery/ folder is copied as-is to the new server, all the images in the old posts would become visible again.
hey thats a good catch Martin,, everyone seemed to overlook it.. i will copy down the old gallery folder from the backup folder and move it to the proper location later.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
i think the folders are all still there, , but the problem is we all have different member ID numbers to what we had before, and the old gallery image folders have our old member ID numbers. so working out who owned what gallery folder in the old days is a headache.
but as you said, having the old pictures available at all will be better than nothing
Hi Dylan,

Yes, adding the old pictures to the new gallery is a major software task.

But it's not necessary to do that to make them appear in the old posts. They are linked in those old posts using the old URL, so provided the old /gallery/ folder is copied to the new server, all the pictures in the old posts which are currently missing would re-appear.

If (it may be a big if) the old backups are still available, copying the old /gallery/ folder to the server should not require more than a few clicks.

Alternatively, it's possible the old /gallery/ folder is still in place on your Dad's old server on Data 1 (now GWOCI). In which case Verticalscope should be able to set up a simple redirect to it for the image links.

regards,

Martin.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
hey thats a good catch Martin,, everyone seemed to overlook it.. i will copy down the old gallery folder from the backup folder and move it to the proper location later.
That would be great! But I'm amazed that you still have FTP access to the server after the takeover?

regards,

Martin.

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
That would be great! But I'm amazed that you still have FTP access to the server after the takeover?

regards,

Martin.
that was part of the deal before the changeover.. there had to be an element of trust involved and they trusted my Dad with FTP access and with the general running of the site, and he trusts me to help him out.
the gallery folder thing will probably take many hours to complete,, its at 2% now... :sleepy:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
that was part of the deal before the changeover.. there had to be an element of trust involved and they trusted my Dad with FTP access and with the general running of the site, and he trusts me to help him out.
the gallery folder thing will probably take many hours to complete,, its at 2% now... :sleepy:
That's great, well done Dylan. Expect a round of applause when you get all the pictures back in the old posts. :)

Martin.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Thank you Dylan!!!!:bow:

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
okay lads the folder with all the old gallery pictures is now copied back to its proper location, so old posts with links to gallery pictures should now be working again..

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I can confirm that it worked. Some of my old bookmarked threads are showing the pictures again. Good work Dylan and Martin.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
excellent - and 'spot on', as it were -- really no need to fuly revive the functionality of the old gallery - addressing the existing image to post relationships has definitely addressed my conserns.

It's nice to see Google image searches again returning to good clean posts here in your forum.

Great work on that!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.