Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody have experience with the Piaggio MP3 trike? (MP3-125/250/300/400/500)

My wife wants one, yet I can't find any info about their reliability/maintainablility/etc.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I don't know anyone who has actually owned one... but I am sure someone will come along that has experience with them...

My daughter showed an interest in buying one as well, but I asked her to get some feed back first. Since then (2 months ago) she has not said anything about it.

Kevin E.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

There's a forum, Modern Vespa, just do a search and it should pop up. They have a section dedicated to the MP3. I don't know of the MP3, but I've spent a considerable amount of time recently with a 2009 Piaggio fly 150 and IT SUCKS!!!! The life expectancy on the damn thing is about 6,000 miles, which sounds funny until you realize the one I've been working on has 4,500 miles on it and has needed a spark plug, a head gasket, a valve adjustment, a SAS valve, a new automatic choke, all new vacuum lines, a horn button, a starter botton, the plastic cover for the clutch and a new seat.Now, the MP3 may be better, I'm almost hoping it is, but I can tell you every part I've needed for this little 150 has had to come from italy and has taken WEEKS (6 weeks for the SAS valve, 4 weeks for the head gasket) and theyrefuse expidited shipping. As a matter of fact, the italy side of things won't even confirm the order has shipped, so it'sjust a total crap shoot.

Check out the modern vespa forum and maybe even ask if anyone else hadsimilar problems, but based on my experience thus far I'd have to say I'm done with modern vespas.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

They are popular in the UK. The wheels are a bit small, but they are quite stable and easy to handle. Steering slightly on the heavy side, but easy to adapt to.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine has a 250cc version and he let me try it out. I liked it, fun to ride and easy to handle. A bit heavy for a 250 but the way the two wheels up front work makes up for that.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Somewhere I read that they were hard on tires.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

The local Vespa dealer in Mesa, AZ was not too hot on selling me one of them. He advised that I go for a Burgman.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Wish I could remember where I saw it, but there was a video about two older gentlemen riding these across the USA. Thought it was on this forum in the events section, but I cannot find it. Will keep looking.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

We used to ride with someone with the 250 version. Geared up he went about 260# and the bike would hold 65 mph all day. Yes, hard on tires, he went about 7 to 9 K on the rear, about 11 on the fronts.By all means go to Modern Vespa, there is a section devoted to the MP3. For my money, a Burgman or Majesty with a Voyager kit would serve better. (Just my .02)

Patrick

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

24.4ZOOM wrote:
We used to ride with someone with the 250 version. Geared up he went about 260# and the bike would hold 65 mph all day. Yes, hard on tires, he went about 7 to 9 K on the rear, about 11 on the fronts.By all means go to Modern Vespa, there is a section devoted to the MP3. For my money, a Burgman or Majesty with a Voyager kit would serve better. (Just my .02)

Patrick
> Thank you All for the responses.

> I learned a lot yesterday, after checking out the Modern Vespa Website. One of which is that the MP3-500 can handle a Car Tire... which I presume would address (the rear half) of the tire wear issue. That model also seems to be the best option for city traffic, due to better acceleration off the line.

Ref: My wife wants a Trike because here in CA she can "ride" it having only a Car License... eg She is has been sitting on the fence for a year now (with her first bike, a Rebal250 parked unused in the garage for her), afraid to attempt getting her motorcycle license... Because, here in CA, you must take BOTH tests (car and mcycle) in order to get the mcycle license... hence if you Fail the mcycle license, then you LOSE your CAR license as well, until you sucessfully take it over again (!!!).... She does not want to risk being unlicensed for perhaps a month, hence Bikes are out of the question for now.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
Because, here in CA, you must take BOTH tests (car and mcycle) in order to get the mcycle license... hence if you Fail the mcycle license, then you LOSE your CAR license as well, until you sucessfully take it over again (!!!)....
Really?? I had a motorcycle license for years in California before I bothered to get my car license.

Checking the website for California DMV DMV Website - MC requirements I don't see anything that requires a car license...

They will take your actual license and give you a paper version until you pass both, if you already have a license... but you don't lose the ability to drive.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

azdesertdad wrote:
ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
Because, here in CA, you must take BOTH tests (car and mcycle) in order to get the mcycle license... hence if you Fail the mcycle license, then you LOSE your CAR license as well, until you sucessfully take it over again (!!!)....
Really?? I had a motorcycle license for years in California before I bothered to get my car license.

Checking the website for California DMV DMV Website - MC requirements I don't see anything that requires a car license...

They will take your actual license and give you a paper version until you pass both, if you already have a license... but you don't lose the ability to drive.
> Yes, the situation in CA is that if you have one catagory of license, then want to add on a new one, then you must RETEST for the first simultaneously to taking the 2nd. This one bit me when I had only my mcycle license, then went in to get my car license (at age 35)... I had to retake my mcycle license test, which was difficult as I had not read the book for many years!

Rephrased:
You have a car license, then go into get the mcycle license... You must then retake the written test for the car license. If you fail it (car), then you LOSE YOUR CAR LICENSE until you retake it sucessfully, perhaps month later.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Alex..

Back on subject... I did test ride the Piaggio MP3 500 a couple years back. After just a lap around the parking lot, it felt quite normal. It leans just fine in turns. I also liked the feature of holding the front suspension when coming to a stop. No need to put a foot down.
My biggest consern was repairs and dealer's available. he one I rode is a friends and one seal took 9 weeks to arrive from Italy. Other than that it is a fun head turner.
Yes in California you can ride a 3 wheeler with a car license, as the CamAm Spyders are also advertised.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

I have owned most Piaggio and Vespas made and all of them were Great. The 500cc single is one heck of an engine. Lots of power and torque they even use it in a 4 seat car.
RICK

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Best bet would be to get her a Silverwing or Bergman. She'd need the motorcycle license but it would be a lot easier to pass the riding test on a scooter and with a CVT shiftless transmission a lot easier for her to ride. Much easier for a new rider than a Rebel would be. Not to mention that the Silverwing and Bergman scooters are bullet proof, get long life out of tires and need very little maintenance. They are also at home on the freeway too with a top speed of over 100mph. Not that she'd be going that fast. As for retaking the auto written test, if one can't pass that then maybe they shouldn't be driving anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.